Pool building disaster/leaking issue need help

Aug 19, 2017
Waynesville NC
A couple of years ago we had a fiberglass pool installed (a san juan pool) and the pool company we hired to install it was a complete disaster. They messed up the concrete (where it dipped and held water) smeared glue all over the pool that turned yellow, the pool leaked (which we found out was around the skimmer and got it fixed) and there was also a bigger leak which we found out was because the guys who installed the pool (who appeared to be high or drunk when they installed it) forgot to glue the pipes near the return blower they had to break up the concrete in one spot and dig under the concrete to get to the pipe to glue it. Anyways that solved the problem for a month or so but due to major conflicts with the pool installer he bailed on the job and never came back (we still owed him approx 10K or so at that point).

Well a couple months later (until now years later) the pool drops by a an inch or so everyday and I think it is because they did not glue the piping together so it is leaking at the other return/blower. Now I do not know what to do as they are the only company anywhere near us that deals with figerglass pools (and they are completely negligent) so I cannot call them to fix this issue. If we have to dig under the concrete by the other blower it would be about 10 ft worth of concrete to dig under to get to the blower pipes. If I break up the concrete to glue it that would be horribly expensive and not sure how we would repour without the coping that the pool company/builder has. Does anyone have any ideas how we can stop the leaking without spending a fortune? This whole pool situation has been a nightmare and the pool company we used apparently has been sued many times and changed their company name/started a new business several times now so I want to avoid them at all cost. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Sorry to hear of your problems.

First step is to Identify what is leaking. It may take pressure testing the pipes to isolate and identify which ones do not hold pressure.

Depending on where the leak is there are parts to seal a leak from within the pipe...

There are various leak detection tools that can be used...

Reactions: Erealpixie
Sorry to hear all that... Certainly the first step would be to diagnose the leak. My "guess" would be it is not a improperly glued pipe. I would expect that kind of a leak to get worse over time and leak more than 1" / day. You could try to check some obvious places like the seal around the skimmer and the seals around any penetrations. You can do this by slowly squirting red food coloring around the area watch for it to get sucked in. There is a thread on hear somewhere that has some very good tips on how to find a leak (I just could not seem to find it) however if you do a few searches you will find some good approaches from other posts. You could also hire a leak detection service which should be able to give you a good diagnosis. It may turn out to be a easy fix....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.