Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi guys,

I just got my FG pool installed and concrete deck all around it.
I complained to the PB that pool was not level, it was an inch lower in one corner. He said that was within "industry standards"
I complained that there is a 8x2 foot section in between the stairs on the shallow end that is HOLLOW underneath, he said, if you don't point it out to people, no one will notice it.
I already paid him in full.
Those are my two major complaints, but I'm mostly worried about the hollow area, it could crack down the road. They used gravel to backfill.
His contract says : "Contractor warrants that (a) it shall construct the Project in a safe, and workmanlike manner"

Does this qualify as "workmanlike manner" ? I don't think pools should be hollow.

I am in a big fight with him over something else (he's an awful human being), and the only thing I will let him do is come to my house in the fall and close and cover the pool.

Is it time to get the lawyers involved?

Sorry about your trouble. I will say that while installers do their best to pack down and behind ledges and stairs, there can be hallow areas in these tricky areas. We have what appear to be a few places where sand (in my case) settled over the years so there's a small void. The shell is quite durable, so I don't think you should have an issue with those. As for the pool level, I'd have to dig out my installation paperwork, but I do believe there is a one inch variance, but I think it's every x-amount per foot.

It's disappointing when you find things like this and feel like you get no respect for your concerns. I'm sure you also understand that now with the concrete poured, it would be a major undertaking to have any of that work re-accomplished. I'm not trying to make excuses for the installer, but it's huge. Take a look at the warranty or installation paperwork your received, or contact the manufactures directly to confirm the level tolerance. You can also discuss with the manufacture your frustration with the local vendor and inquire about avenues to report him if you desire to go that route.

If it's any consolation at all, depending on the size of the pool and which direction the level seems off, most people will never see it but you. Ours settled slightly after about 3 years on sand (ugh) but no one knows but us. Since yours is on gravel, I would hope it doesn't shift at all.

As far as him retuning for winter closing, no way! Come back here in Sept and we'll show you what to do. You don't need anyone like that back on your property.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Only reason I'm letting him back here is because its already paid for.

It's frustrating to see someone continue to talk about their reputation, but deliver a substandard product.

I know it's almost impossible to do anything now, but pool level issue was brought up before concrete was poured.
But if i understand you correctly, the shell won't crack, correct?

How much would it cost to fix these issues? $10,000, $20,000?

Within one inch, the shell should be fine. Your manufacture can confirm. Although that's just more support for your complaint to the BBB or anyone else if you mentioned it before the concrete. That's horrible service. As for already paying him, I get it. But think of it this way ..... you already learned the hard way he does sub-standard work. Why let him back? In Oct he might screw something up during winterization and you not know about it until April 2022. That would stink. As for an overall cost to fix everything (level, base material, concrete removal, re-pour, etc), probably $10-$20K ballpark I'd say. Not to mention the mess to your property and aggravation. But give the pool manufacture a call tomorrow. They may have some reassuring news that might help.

Within one inch, the shell should be fine. Your manufacture can confirm. Although that's just more support for your complaint to the BBB or anyone else if you mentioned it before the concrete. That's horrible service. As for already paying him, I get it. But think of it this way ..... you already learned the hard way he does sub-standard work. Why let him back? In Oct he might screw something up during winterization and you not know about it until April 2022. That would stink. As for an overall cost to fix everything (level, base material, concrete removal, re-pour, etc), probably $10-$20K ballpark I'd say. Not to mention the mess to your property and aggravation. But give the pool manufacture a call tomorrow. They may have some reassuring news that might help.
Well, he has my winter cover, I have received it yet.

I may bring another company to give me an estimate for the repairs, and then send him a demand for damages. I know he won't pay up, so I'd have to sue him.
I'd do this after i get my cover of course.

Reactions: Casey
Sue him for your winter cover too.. while you are at it. I wouldn't let him back on your property either. If he is supposed to supply chemicals for the close, have him drop them off in your driveway and we will walk you through the rest. I hate hearing stories like this.. it makes me want to jump in the car and drive to Ohio and.. and... and...Let the air out of his tires!

I spoke with Thursday Pools today.

They want me to go in the water and find out whether there is really a void underneath, or there is a dip in that area.

To find out, there should be two people in the pool, one to step on the area, and the other to monitor if the floor moves down when you step there.

We shall see

Well I suggest a chill pill. Many people have issues with their builders. If your pool is within spec there isn't much you can do. It's sloppy but within contract. I think leveling it better would require lifting and resetting right?

Your cover probably is custom cut for your pool. Is it loop lok or something like that? Someone needs to drill the anchors into the deck.

Closing the pool is another thing it requires blowing lines and such. If he does that regularly it'll save you $400 which is what I pay for closing.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face you still need to go to your builder for warranty issues that's gonna be problematic if you set that bridge on fire.

Reactions: Casey
Well I suggest a chill pill. Many people have issues with their builders. If your pool is within spec there isn't much you can do. It's sloppy but within contract. I think leveling it better would require lifting and resetting right?

Your cover probably is custom cut for your pool. Is it loop lok or something like that? Someone needs to drill the anchors into the deck.

Closing the pool is another thing it requires blowing lines and such. If he does that regularly it'll save you $400 which is what I pay for closing.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face you still need to go to your builder for warranty issues that's gonna be problematic if you set that bridge on fire.
I agree with you, but he set the bridge on fire because I complained to him about something else. Turns out, once he got his money his true colors came out. Pool companies are a dime a dozen around here, he thinks he can threaten me that he won't service my pool, lol. There's like 8 other companies within 10 miles.

Right now, I'm not so worried about the leveling as I am about the hollow area.

Anyway, this is the cover they're going to install: Safety Mesh Pool Covers « Rayner Covering Systems, Inc.
Side question, what do you guys think of using the water fillable weights to hold down the cover, instead of drilling into the concrete for anchors?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with you, but he set the bridge on fire because I complained to him about something else. Turns out, once he got his money his true colors came out. Pool companies are a dime a dozen around here, he thinks he can threaten me that he won't service my pool, lol. There's like 8 other companies within 10 miles.

Right now, I'm not so worried about the leveling as I am about the hollow area.

Anyway, this is the cover they're going to install: Safety Mesh Pool Covers « Rayner Covering Systems, Inc.
Side question, what do you guys think of using the water fillable weights to hold down the cover, instead of drilling into the concrete for anchors?

Drill, baby, drill! This is a "safety" cover, not just a tarp. It needs to be drilled with anchors. Once done it'll "hold an elephant" above the water. You most likely paid over $3000 for that cover you wouldn't want to treat it like a $50 tarp!

Hey how about some pics? I'd love to see your pool it actually sounds pretty sweet! Also if you could take a pic of the water variance from one end to the other that would help to understand.

On the bright side... at least he put a well point in.

Not much you can do about the levelling without spending big bucks. If the steps move when your assistant steps on them, you could have a Ramjack/mud injection into the area for support. Be warned though, for some reason everyone and their mother is having deck/patios, etc, ramjacked right now so you have to wait/pay a premium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.