Pool Builder Doesn’t Blow Out Lines to Winterize - Iowa Winter

A lot of questions here. Pool build is in process. 16x32 vinyl liner pool with 7x12 sun deck. Pool builder started in September and we got 10 inches of rain throughout the month so he won’t be able to finish pool until spring. He got as far as pool walls up lines set up and concrete deck completed. Inside the pool is still dirt/mud. He is waiting to do the concrete mix and install liner in the spring.

Is this okay to leave like this over the winter?

equipment has not be installed yet and he is waiting for spring to finish the equipment pad.

When we talked about location of equipment pad I wanted it located out of view from the pool and about 30 feet from the pool. He didn’t recommend this because he said it would be very expensive to close pool each winter because of the amount of antifreeze we would need to fill the pool lines.

Reading these posts it seems like he closes pools differently. I asked him about blowing out the lines and he said he doesn’t recommend it and just fills the lines full of antifreeze including pump/filter and heater. Is this correct? He has been building pools for 40 years is this something that used to be necessary and is no longer a recommendation?

He is an old time builder who has learned two things, firstly lie to clients and secondly lie to clients.

Leaving your build half way through the job is a cop out, forming the bottom and installing the liner in brutal cold is done regularly by pool companies, but it requires the pool to be temporarily covered with tarps and air heating. Leaving it half completed could result in damage being done. Saying he adds antifreeze to lines and doesn’t blow them out is another lie. Zero pool companies would close a pool as he suggests. It’s your pool, get the pad located where you want it. I assume he’s being to cheap to add the extra piping to get it where you want it. If he needs to be shown how to blow out lines and close with zero anti freeze send him to me.

agree 100% ^^^^

and may I add hes gonna whack his customers 20 bucks a bottle for dozens of bottles that are 3 bucks a pop. There is NO reason to not blow out the lines and its good practice to add some antifreeze anyway to be safe. old school is proven to be the wrong way. ever see an old house thats not out of level? I havent lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.