Pool Build - Keller, TX (DFW) Finished Pics

I like the look of your patio. Do you find your feet catching the tops of the river rock sometimes? I did a similar thing for a walk that also doubles as a deck drain. I have river rock in other places and even knew of the potential 'catch' issue but I built it anyway and tried leaving the steppers a bit high, However I still catch them once in while.View attachment 158376

Every now and then I kick one haha on accident, but over all it worked out better than we thought. That river rock will surround the pool, so in the end everything will look uniform and like it was all built together.

I like the look of your patio. Do you find your feet catching the tops of the river rock sometimes? I did a similar thing for a walk that also doubles as a deck drain. I have river rock in other places and even knew of the potential 'catch' issue but I built it anyway and tried leaving the steppers a bit high, However I still catch them once in while.View attachment 158376

BTW, yours is VERY nice! Love it!

Here are a few aerial shots we took, to show the layout. As you can see, my grass is already dying, in spite of all the manual watering I am trying to do, as they shut our sprinklers off a few weeks ago, then pushed the dig back, and here in TX IT IS HOOOOOOTTTTTT right now.

Attachments

• Aerial 1.jpeg
    Aerial 1.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Aerial 2.jpeg
    Aerial 2.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 136
  • Aerial 3.jpeg
    Aerial 3.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Aerial 4.jpeg
    Aerial 4.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Gladius Nova
Going to go off topic for a second. What are your thoughts on your playscape? In hindsight would you get one again?

My wife would, I would not.. I think it is an eyesore, but I have a 2 year and 6 year old girl who like it. I have every intention of getting rid of it next year if I can haha.. My kids honestly prefer to go to the park or ride their bikes, scooters, etc. So I dont know if it is really worth having. Especially after a pool is in!

Reactions: Sparks22
BTW, yours is VERY nice! Love it!
Thank you.. That walk has been unfinished for 2 seasons now, mostly because I could not find a stepper I liked to put in there and I ran out of river rock. Those were a last minute buy down at home depot just trying to get the job finished. We loved the color but I really wanted something bigger. They are actually real stone and I figured with the light grey color they would not be very hot. WOW.. Was I wrong. They are much hotter than my concrete pavers... You don't spend any time chatting on that walkway....

Reactions: Kahler33
Thank you.. That walk has been unfinished for 2 seasons now, mostly because I could not find a stepper I liked to put in there and I ran out of river rock. Those were a last minute buy down at home depot just trying to get the job finished. We loved the color but I really wanted something bigger. They are actually real stone and I figured with the light grey color they would not be very hot. WOW.. Was I wrong. They are much hotter than my concrete pavers... You don't spend any time chatting on that walkway....

Well it looks great. Unfortunately for our build, we keep hitting major delays.. plumbing wont be done until the end of next week, then steel to follow, THEN inspection. After inspection they said could be 3 weeks until gunite. And that is just the FIRST shoot, as they are doing the grotto at a completely different shoot.. I feel this build will take way way longer than initially told. I am patient, but honestly constant delays not because of weather is starting to wear down my patience.

Well after a delay, the plumbers finally showed. They are on day 3 today, but here are a few pics after day two. Unfortunately, and right in line with my luck, we are supposed to have rain the next 3 days, so the PB put plastic down, and they wet and threw dry concrete on the walls of the pool to hopefully keep the clay from caving. We will see.

Attachments

• P1.jpeg
    P1.jpeg
    674.5 KB · Views: 91
  • P2.jpeg
    P2.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 93
  • P3.jpeg
    P3.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 92
  • P4.jpeg
    P4.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 90
  • P5.jpeg
    P5.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 89
  • P6.jpeg
    P6.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P7.jpeg
    P7.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P8.jpeg
    P8.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P9.jpeg
    P9.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 78
If they finish plumbing today, hopefully rebar this week depending on rain! Editing this comment, as I just spoke to the PB and the steel guys are there today!! WOOT!

Last edited:
Wow.. looks like you're trying to single handedly fund the PVC pipe industry.. I'm sure they're very appreciative. :laughblue: looks like they're doing a nice job with the plumbing. I prefer them all laid flat like that as well as opposed to stacking as some do. Be sure they bed all those pipes with a good 6 inches of sand before backfill.

Do you have all your drainage figured out?. I would not want to attempt to go under that many pipes with a drainage line. :scratch:

I am a little concerned with the pressure test. In one of the pics it looks like they already have a valve plumbed in. most plumbers would want to check all the runs before hooking up any valves as those can leak a little bit and cause problems with the pressure test. That's an awful lot of pipes to not have a proper pressure test done on them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow.. looks like you're trying to single handedly fund the PVC pipe industry.. I'm sure they're very appreciative. :laughblue: looks like they're doing a nice job with the plumbing. I prefer them all laid flat like that as well as opposed to stacking as some do. Be sure they bed all those pipes with a good 6 inches of sand before backfill.

Do you have all your drainage figured out?. I would not want to attempt to go under that many pipes with a drainage line. :scratch:

I am a little concerned with the pressure test. In one of the pics it looks like they already have a valve plumbed in. most plumbers would want to check all the runs before hooking up any valves as those can leak a little bit and cause problems with the pressure test. That's an awful lot of pipes to not have a proper pressure test done on them.

I dont think I will be there before the backfill, so I hope they do, but I have a feeling the wont.. I havent seen any sand on site etc.. I did talk to the PB about them being close together and possible movement in the clay cracking them..they didnt seem too concerned.. well we will see. Wish I was home at the moment to say something. They have an engineer thats been out for the drainage, so I think they have a plan for everything.

On the pressure test I have no idea. I do know this.. This is a highly reputable pool builder in the DFW area, so I am just hoping they are confident in what they are doing. Thanks for the info though.. I will be sure to ask.

Looks very similar to how mine were run, flat is the way to go for sure. They wont dig the drainage as deep as the plumbing as your deck will be at the zero line where those trenches are probably 2ft down at least I would suspect. Looking very good, almost looks like the same plumbing crew that did mine in Frisco....Cant wait to see it finished! Godspeed with all this rain we are getting in DFW....

Looks very similar to how mine were run, flat is the way to go for sure. They wont dig the drainage as deep as the plumbing as your deck will be at the zero line where those trenches are probably 2ft down at least I would suspect. Looking very good, almost looks like the same plumbing crew that did mine in Frisco....Cant wait to see it finished! Godspeed with all this rain we are getting in DFW....

Well all the rain has done its toll. Our pool caved in on almost every side.. so plumbing and dig crew expected back out to start again. My wife and I just laughed. We might as well have some fun watching this all happen.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 96
So it has been a complete mess so far. The rain destroyed the walls of the pool, and when it finally started to dry out, the pool company had the gunite company come and flash the pool. Finally, Monday this week, we had steel put in, and Tuesday bonding was done. Passed inspection yesterday, and gunite is scheduled for Monday Oct. 5. I cannot express how anxious I am to have something resembling a pool rather than a dirt hole. I will update again next week!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    890.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Well all the rain has done its toll. Our pool caved in on almost every side.. so plumbing and dig crew expected back out to start again. My wife and I just laughed. We might as well have some fun watching this all happen.
Wow - what a nice equipment pad. Be sure to have them label everything. You have a lot of space to work on things in the future if anything breaks or needs repair. Also, I see you are going with Wet Edge plaster - I have the Primera Stone and love it. Keep us posted on progress.

So .. Gunite happened on Monday. Overall it was ok. There are a few issues. One the 6ft waterfall feature in the pool was gunited wrong. They did it as 2 36" features... and the biggest issue is the table in the grotto. It is not even close to what was discussed, and it is way too big.. However.. it will be fixed. The third issue is the pitch of the spa overflow or negative edge is not exact.. I have not discussed this with the builder yet, but no biggie.. The spa is WAY bigger than I expected.. whoops!

Here are some pics..

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    588.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: NickCYC
and the biggest issue is the table in the grotto. It is not even close to what was discussed, and it is way too big.. However.. it will be fixed

Oooff.... That looks like a lot of cutting and chipping (looks like the rebar was too far out as well) . It is supposed to be round, correct?
How much will the table overhang the column? I would still be concerned about kids trying to swim through the grotto and potentially hitting there head on the edge of the table when they come up.

Very impressive looking pool.. 👍

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.