Pool Build Finally Started - Bryan, TX (11/4/20)

That will be the purrfect sitting and chatting step area right there! Just enough water to keep cool with your feet or bum in it!

I did notice how they did the bottom area. Have you walked it yet? Is it a trip hazard?

We didn't have a ledge or tanning bench so the wider step was a way to incorporate a place for the pets to splash in the water. That step is in 6" of water - Very shallow - Also when the grand kids visit the littlest ones may want to play on the steps while parents sit. Plus I read an article on stairs and putting some variety in them. Make them your own. Note - We don't have any water features at all. So it's just a little bit into making this one ours. Yes Kim, it's probably that step that'll have me sitting and reading a book on. !!

They said they'd mold the pool bottom up to the steps. Hubby's been in the pool and walking right next to the bench from the steps down into the deepest (center) area and it's very steep, he lost his balance. But again, it'll be full of water, and I see that area as more of a hazard if I'm really thinking about it instead of the wider second step. My first thought was there goes playing volleyball with that uneven shallow end. But swimming it won't matter although I'm not sure about walking to the steps and getting out - It's on an incline.

Sorry I haven't been on this forum lately - Today was a day away from pool stuff and getting back to normal: Laundry, dishes, cleaning, and relaxing. OH good news, the test kit came today.

Reactions: Nikilyn
there goes playing volleyball with that uneven shallow end. But swimming it won't matter
I would say 95% of pool time is spent playing, relaxing where 5% is spent actively swimming..................something to think about that maybe have a talk with them about to see what they think they can do to ease it some.

Today was a day away from pool stuff and getting back to normal:
But, but, but that is no FUN LOL Yeah but ti needs to be done so hurry up so you can get back to pool stuff!

good news, the test kit came today.
When you have a chance use that test kit to test the water you plan on filling the pool with. Do NOT bother testing for CYA as that has to be added to the water.

Tilers showed up with the wrong tiles! I threw on clothes, went out with hubby - He trusted them, and I didn't. Not with all I read on this forum. . . . And I was right! They didn't even bring Master Tile. The pool build contact was going to show up 2 hours later. Can you imagine if we weren't here?

The only contact on this info was with our designer. I called him late October with the info and hubby saw him in person, delivering back the tiles we borrowed. Who knows where the flub up happened. Of all things the tiles they brought were gray. Unglazed stone look. Just NO!

Last edited:
I just looked at the tile on page 1....that is similar to what we want! I might have to switch to yours because the 2x2 version of the tile we are looking at might not work for me...The edges of the 6x6 have like a burnt look (don't know what else to call it) but to make the 2x2 it appears they just cut a 6x6 tile so the edges are inconsistent. I want to use the 2x2 pieces as accents on the steps. Are you putting tile on your steps?

Reactions: Sollace
Are you putting tile on your steps?
No, no tile on the steps (on the edge). We have a light colored finish. . . And the way Wet Edge does their Primera Stone, it's best not to have tile on the steps. Now the step out of the water is covered in tile.
And the tile we used in the pool is Master Tile - Isola Series. And the only way I figured that out was cutting and pasting all the ones that looked good on my desktop and stared at them. It was the hue (light to dark) that determined my final decision. The MAS ISA ELB 6 (six inches) had some blue and some green and was a medium hue.

Most Master Tiles come in 2" and their catalog is easy to navigate. And if you keep looking at tile you'll find the exact same patterns by different tile companies. After awhile I realized they all looked the same. . . .

Reactions: TampaKathy
So a call to our pool build guy, he comes out soon. A call to our pool designer and he had to look up our pool build and I'm not sure what the problem was. Sure I looked at early tile but I told him that isn't a firm choice. Take a note those that are doing pool builds - Get everything written down and make sure the designer has it written down! IE: The tile wasn't decided when we signed the contract. So it's not written down there. It was decided after reviewing samples we brought home and a phone conversation. If the designer didn't write it down, it's on him.

Oh and the tile guys left, they said they'd be back at 8:30 AM tomorrow.
The pool build guy came. Said projects close down during the Christmas holidays thru January 2nd. After he left, workers showed up to fill in the trench for the gas line. Yeah!

Attachments

• 12-23-WaterproofSealer.jpg
    12-23-WaterproofSealer.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 11-23-WaterProofSealer3.jpg
    11-23-WaterProofSealer3.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 11-23-WaterProofSealer2.jpg
    11-23-WaterProofSealer2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I just looked at the tile on page 1....that is similar to what we want! I might have to switch to yours because the 2x2 version of the tile we are looking at might not work for me...The edges of the 6x6 have like a burnt look (don't know what else to call it) but to make the 2x2 it appears they just cut a 6x6 tile so the edges are inconsistent. I want to use the 2x2 pieces as accents on the steps. Are you putting tile on your steps?
This site really helped me on tile selection:
Little Tile Inc - online source to swimming pool tile, glass and mosaics for spa, hot tubs, jacuzzis and swimming pools

Reactions: TampaKathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool build rep / project manager told us all things related to pool shut down about December 15 until January 2nd. He said a lot of the workers are on visas and they return home for an extended holiday. Not sure how that works with Covid-19 . . . .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Tuesday Nov. 24th. . . . .
The right tile and workers showed up at 9AM! Once more I rushed out there to match batch numbers and say hello. Yesterday they coated the areas tiled with this waterproof green coating. Today they measured and measured and put up a board under the tile so when the tile goes down, it sits firmly in place, supported until dry. Pictures coming!

I also forgot to mention that the rep that showed up, the project manager, said our pool doesn't need to be watered anymore. I think that was five days? A few times hubby got his waders on, grabbed two buckets, and scooped out the 'deep end' puddle to splash on the walls.

Pictures! They're doing an excellent job. We're very pleased!

Attachments

• 11-24-WaterLineTile.jpg
    11-24-WaterLineTile.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 11-24-WaterLineTile2.jpg
    11-24-WaterLineTile2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 11-24-WaterLineTile3.jpg
    11-24-WaterLineTile3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 11-24-WaterLineTile4.jpg
    11-24-WaterLineTile4.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 11-24-WaterLineTile6.jpg
    11-24-WaterLineTile6.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Tilers showed up with the wrong tiles!
WHAT??? :shock: oh adult word NO!!! SO glad you were there!!!! And THIS is why I always say to be there and outside any time sub shows up to check their supplies and such.

I didn't. Not with all I read on this forum. . . . And I was right!
TFP in for the win!!!! SCORE!!!!

Get everything written down and make sure the designer has it written down!
YES!!! Also if there are any changes on the pool design make sure NONE of the old design papers are useable aka shred them all and make sure the PB office does also!

My builder left a box of leftover waterline tiles and 8 coping pavers for me to keep on hand as spares. Not sure I'll ever need them, hopefully not anyway, but they said I paid for them so might as well keep them.

I have a simple design without any water features, so can't weigh in on your second question.

Reactions: Sollace
Thanks Dave - Yeah the tilers will be back tomorrow morning. I'll confront them -- I feel that any extra material should be left here.
No water features on our wall - It's more a speed bump barrier for leaves blowing in our pool.

I would want the back of the wall at least presentable.

Look at your contract. Does it say amounts of tile, etc? Seems to me if 3 pallets of this or that is dropped off at your house for your build then it is yours but I am not 100% sure.

I think they normally order "extra" but the contract will state what is to be installed. I think it would be a courtesy to leave some behind for future repair needs, but that is probably up to the builder. They get a credit for returning unused material and that is part of their profit margin. I would ask if they will leave you some just to have it, but I wouldn't expect it to be automatic.

Oh yeah, the back of the wall. They asked if we wanted it tiled to match and we chose not to add the expense. They did what they call a brown coat to seal it and it just looks like concrete. I plan to pick out a inexpensive from Home Depot and tile that area myself to give it more of a finished look, but I am probably the only person that sees it, and then only when doing yard work. That part of our yard is more for the dogs to have room than anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.