Pool Build Coming Soon

Jul 27, 2016
Texas
We are going to start our build soon. Pool will be a 16x40 Viking Fiberglass pool with a tanning ledge (corinthian model). We were also strongly considering a leisure pool, but were able to get a better price on the Viking since we are also using a coverstar cover (builder recommended going with Viking for this reason). Does anyone have experience with the viking finishes...should we go with the Crystite or the Diamond finish?

Builder is including 1 skimmer, 3 returns and 2 side wall drains with anti-entrapment covers. Is this adequate or should I ask for 1 more skimmer and return?

Equipment will include:
Hayward Tristar 900 VS Pump
Hayward 140K BTU Heat Pump
DE Filter (Considering cartridge DE filter as well)
Hayward omni logic automation
Hayward salt chlorinator.
3 LED lights.
Coverstar Eclipse Cover with Stone lid cover.
Gravel FIll
Schedule 40 PVC plumbing

Last edited:
We have the Poseidon. I don't recall the type of finish, but it's a basic gelcoat with small sparkles in it. Maya blue is what we got. Our pool is 16x40 and has 6 return jets and I'm glad. The circulation is good. One skimmer should be adequate, but watch pool placement and which way the wind usually blows across your backyard. Even the best return jets can't push surface debris against a good steady wind. For your filter, it sounds as if your undecided between a DE or cartridge filter right? Our Pool Filter Comparison - Trouble Free Pool page might help you there. I personally like the cartridge for ease of maintenance.

That’s the color we were thinking Of going with. I’m sure it will look good with water in it. I am considering waterline tile but I’m not sure I want the headaches associated with that.

I think they are supposed to come vacuum the mud out of it today and add the salt, if they do I'll try and get a picture of it filled if you would like.

I would want (and have) 2 skimmers on a 38' pool. I would be unsatisfied with one. One would fill up too fast on certain occasions for my taste. And two clears the pool of dog hair faster.

3 returns would seem the minimum for that size. One or two more would provide better circulation. I have four and have no issues.

I would want (and have) 2 skimmers on a 38' pool. I would be unsatisfied with one. One would fill up too fast on certain occasions for my taste. And two clears the pool of dog hair faster.

3 returns would seem the minimum for that size. One or two more would provide better circulation. I have four and have no issues.

The builder told me that 2 skimmers would not work properly with a variable speed pump...there wouldn’t be enough flow through the 2 skimmers to skip properly. Should I still insist on 2 skimmers? There will be 2 drains low on the side wall in addition to the skimmer.

Haha, he’s your PB to deal with but that’s not true. Yes, if you go too low on the pump speed then sure, it won’t skim properly. He’s just set in his ways. You can tell him I said so! ;)

Too bad he didn’t tell me that yesterday morning before I installed my VSP with 2 skimmers. :eek:

I am going to have an auto cover on the pool. Builder says he will add a second skimmer if I want, but says that Viking only recommends one skimmer on the pool, and that he would definitely recommend only using 1 (especially with auto cover). He says cutting extra holes in a fiberglass pools, the risk of additional suction side leaks in the future, and inadequate flow when running the VS pump at the lowest setting (where the energy savings are greatest) are reasons not to get the second skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I'll give him this. Higher flow will occur if you only have one skimmer. Trade-off is that you are hoping your circulation and winds get everything directed to that one skimmer.

And yes, every penetration into a pool (gunite, vinyl or fiberglass) raises the potential for a leak. And likewise, every additional line and fitting increases the likelihood of a suction side leak. A good PB should be able to mitigate those risks.

On the autocover side of things, only have one skimmer with an autocover becomes more or less important depending on how you will use your cover over the pool's life. Now with little kids (if you have little kids), perhaps you will use it religiously. Later you may say for a few months in summer it gets little use. Then that discussion point is no longer valid.

In the end, neither of these decisions is catastrophic, and there are multiple views. 1 or 2 skimmers are your reasonable choices. And 3-6 returns are the proper range. After that, you just have to weigh the sides and choose.

Our previous pool had 1 skimmer and an autocover. The pool was covered anytime it wasnt in use. In that scenereo, 1 skimmer was fine. I think i cleaned the basket about once a month. (Did i mention how much i miss my autocover?).

Again, that was just my experience using the cover religiously. YMMV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.