Pool Balancing Advice

Drake77

Jun 2, 2022
Canada
Hey Everyone! I am new to TFP and pools in general. I got my 18' salt water above ground pool late last year. I didnt really have any problems with the pool levels last year but this year I have been struggling since I opened it. My levels are as follows:
Free Chlorine: 6ppm
Total Chlorine: 10ppm
CYA: 20ppm
Alkalinity: 60ppm
PH: 8.4

I have been having a horrible time trying to increase the cya levels even after putting stabilizer in (letting it dissolve in a sock in front of the return jet). I haven't been successful in lowering my high ph level either. I have used muriatic acid to try and lower it and it doesnt seem to be doing much. Any bit of help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I've got a Taylor kit ordered but right now all I've got is the strips. I know they are horrible. But I never had a problem with my levels last year using the strips. I just need to get the ph lower and the cya up.

Adding chemicals and not showing up is a sign your test medium isn't very good. Once the Taylor test arrives post a full set of tests.

Adding chemicals and not showing up is a sign your test medium isn't very good. Once the Taylor test arrives post a full set of tests.
Yep, it’s impossible for the FC and TC to be what you’re showing. So I wouldn’t trust any of the other numbers either. You’re like to add stuff you don’t need and make things worse. Best and safest thing you can do is add 5ppm of liquid chlorine (shock) to the water every day until the hood test kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.