Pool Balance with an SWG

Tbefi1

Mar 30, 2018
Austin / Texas
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been a pool owner for 30+ years. I am in Round Rock, Texas. First of all, thanks for being here! I just renovated my pool and added an SWG. Can you please explain the rational for the forum goals on CYA and TA? Prior to the SWG I was a tab user and always fought with high CYA, so I am concerned about running it up around 70ppm. Also always kept TA at 100 as opposed to the forum goal of 60 - 80. Thanks!

Hi there Tbefi1, welcome to TFP!

Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG) produce chlorine in small consistent doses over time. If you need more chlorine you either increase your pump run time or you increase your percentage on the device. Because the device works so slowly you need to bring your pool's FC up to the desired level first with liquid chlorine (bleach) and then let the device take over in maintaining that number.

We know that TA and pH play off each other. A lower TA helps keep the pH lower, and since many find the use of the SWG raises their pH, this is one way to help balance that out. Each pool is different though and it is your own testing that you need to monitor and find that "sweet spot" that keeps things in check and balanced.

One potential problem you may find is that your device is only rated for up to 40k gallons. We always suggest folks go at least 2x their pool volume when picking the device so that you don't have to use it as much. They have a specific lifespan and the less demand placed on the device the longer it will last.

Whenever you expect higher bather loads or need to increase your FC immediately, go ahead and use liquid bleach and avoid using the "high output" (or whatever it is called on that model) option to help save wear and tear too.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie, very helpful! Any thoughts on CYA. After all these years fighting to keep it low, I am having trouble making myself bring it up to 70 (-:
Tony

If you set the cya at 70, it won't go up any further because you aren't adding more cya to the water. Cya of 70 is fine as long as the chlorine levels are high enough to support it. It takes too much liquid chlorine for a non swg pool to be kept at that cya level. However, a swg continuously adds small amounts of FC, so the goal is simply to generate it at the same speed as you lose it (or slightly faster, depending on pump run time). Higher cya means you lose it slower, so you don't have to generate as much. This is better for cell life. However, you can keep the cya at 40 or so if you want, but you will need to generate more chlorine throughout the day (which can mean a shorter cell life).

As an example to what Maddie said, I added a SWG last summer to my pool, my TA was around 100/110, and I found I was having a real hard time keeping the PH down, I was adding about 1/2 gallon of acid every 2 days...I dropped the TA down to 70 and now only have to add once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks, though this may also be due in part to not using the pool over the "winter" here in SoCal

Yeah, I can imagine how hard that is to do after years of the opposite.

The SWG device allows the pool to run with a lower FC level.... because it is a *consistent* level. It isn't going to have large swings of FC of 6ppm on Monday and 0ppm on Tuesday . The fact that the pool will always have a consistent source of chlorine in it allows for lower levels. The higher CYA load protects that lower FC level from the sun. And in Texas YOU HAVE SUN!! :cool: Go ahead and get it up to 70...get cozy with it... in actuality we recommend a minimum of 80 but we'll let ya take it slow.

Capisce?

Thanks Maddie, the point on consistent chlorine level makes sense. I will take the plunge (pun intended) (-:

Yeah, I can imagine how hard that is to do after years of the opposite.

The SWG device allows the pool to run with a lower FC level.... because it is a *consistent* level. It isn't going to have large swings of FC of 6ppm on Monday and 0ppm on Tuesday . The fact that the pool will always have a consistent source of chlorine in it allows for lower levels. The higher CYA load protects that lower FC level from the sun. And in Texas YOU HAVE SUN!! :cool: Go ahead and get it up to 70...get cozy with it... in actuality we recommend a minimum of 80 but we'll let ya take it slow.

Capisce?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Less acid would definitely be good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.