wsamon

Mar 16, 2015
Largo, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, I assume I'm going to have to bring in a professional, but I'm wondering if this awesome community can help me out with identifying a leak. It's an in-ground gunite pool with attached spa. Here's what I know so far:
  • Definitely a leak. I did the bucket test. The bucket dropped about 1/16", while the pool dropped 1"+. The water level goes down about 1" / day.
  • Not in the return jets, vacuum line, or skimmer- the water keeps going down when it's well below them.
  • Doesn't appear to be in the light fixture - did a dye test and didn't see any significant "suckage".
  • Water line continues to drop at about the same rate even with the pool equipment off.
  • May be a problem with the main drain - identified by the dye test. Dye did not leave trails getting sucked in, but did not disperse upward normally. (FWIW, I used food coloring if that matters).
  • No damp spots in the ground. Though I do live in FL with sandy soil, so I imagine the water just seeps downward quickly.
However, this is what stumps me a bit:
  • The spa water level is also going down at about the same rate.
  • The dye test seems to imply that water is leaking through its bottom drain as well (similar dispersal patterns).
  • The main drain and the spa drain do not combine until just before the pump, above ground, and there is no sign of water in that location.

What are the odds that I have 2 separate pipes or drain covers break at essentially the same time? The leak started happening right around the same time that I got a new Dolphin robot (had a The Pool Cleaner previously). I did run it in the spa once. Maybe it damaged drain cover attachments in both my pool and spa? Does that happen? We did not have any water leaks prior to this. However, we did have an issue with some air entering the system when the pump switched off. It would have to prime for maybe 3-5 seconds pushing a bit of air out before switching to the set speed. It rarely has any issues if the main drain or spa drain were engaged though, and does not encounter any as long as it is kept running.

Check the hydrostatic relief valve...

You sure you don't also have a bad check valve in your spa return line that drains your spa into your pool?

Reactions: Fpppool
Check the hydrostatic relief valve...

You sure you don't also have a bad check valve in your spa return line that drains your spa into your pool?
I'll check the hydrostatic relief valve. Thank you! We last drained the pool about 7 years ago when we had it resurfaced and I'm not sure they replaced that, so it could be an original from the 1970s for all I know... Hopefully my pool has one lol.

If the issue was on the return line, wouldn't that only cause an issue when the pump is running? Both the pool and spa lose about an inch a day whether the pump is running or not (I turned it off for about 3 days for verification). Regardless, the water line is below the returns right now so it's super easy to see. If I switch it to return through the spa, nothing comes out of the pool returns.

Edit: I just switched it to spa returns again, and while it did eventually get to the point that nothing significant was coming out of the pool returns, it did take a couple minutes to get to that point. I'm not sure if that means anything.

Last edited:
Find and fix the pool leak and then deal with whatever is going on with your spa.

Following...
I was loosing half an inch a day and replaced the multiport valve spider gasket and top ("Pentair 271148 2-Inch Diverter Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Multiport Valve", "Pentair 270067 2-Inch Top Valve Assembly Replacement Hiflow Top and Side Mount Pool/Spa Multiport Valve"), both were in pretty bad shape. I am loosing a bit less than 1/4in a day now so I think something is still not quite right. If my pool has the hydrostatic valve I would say is a firm candidate

Following...
I was loosing half an inch a day and replaced the multiport valve spider gasket and top ("Pentair 271148 2-Inch Diverter Gasket Replacement Pool and Spa Multiport Valve", "Pentair 270067 2-Inch Top Valve Assembly Replacement Hiflow Top and Side Mount Pool/Spa Multiport Valve"), both were in pretty bad shape. I am loosing a bit less than 1/4in a day now so I think something is still not quite right. If my pool has the hydrostatic valve I would say is a firm candidate
I just took a dive yesterday and believe mine does have a hydrostatic valve, however I have a bit of a problem. About 1/2 of it is cemented over from when we had the pool resurfaced. Considering it's under 6' of water, I imagine trying to break through with a hammer while I float to the surface will be difficult.

Also, does anyone know of any good alternatives to / ways to fashion your own key to remove it? It irks me to spend $50 for a tool that looks like it's just cut PVC pipe that I'll probably only use once to replace a $25 part. Can I just cut PVC pipe or is there more to it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.