Pool Aeration

Ctrupiano

May 17, 2021
Red Bank, New Jersey
Hi all. Trying to figure out my next move. Opened the pool 36 hours ago. SLAM it. Pool is pretty clear.
Chlorine high as expected from STAMPING
PH 7
CH 70
TA 90
CYA 45

Best approach to raise the PH or should I add some muriatic acid to lower TA then aerate? Added 10lbs of CYA last night. Should I wait 24 hours to retest the levels before proceeding. Pump has been running since opening. Thank you all

Ct, a few questions and comments:
- What kind of pool and equipment do you have? Your signature is blank, so please update and it will help us answer your questions.
- What exactly is your current FC level?
- What test kit do you use? Be sure to add that to your signature as well.
- Water is "pretty clear"? It needs to be crystal for sure - no doubts. If it's not, you may need to continue the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Very important.

Let's start there and we'll see what we can do next.

And for today, don't be shy with the liquid chlorine/regular bleach. Add enough to get the FC up to about 6-8 for today and try to keep it elevated all day until you do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I'm sure your water could use the boost.

Hi Guys.

Ran the OCLT was 1ppm. However my CC was 4.0 and FC was 1.5 and have been aerating

Had a Bleach party the last two days.

This mornings test results
FC 4.5
CC.5
CYA 45
PH 7.0 (being stubborn with aeration)
TA 90
Calcium 70 - but don't care vinyl

Will add a little bleach today to get to my desired FC. Do I let the aeration continue? Also having kids over later so hoping a lot of splashing helps or do I add a little Borax to get to 7.2 which may get me a 95 TA and I wait for that to come down on its own?

Thanks again

I would stick to the aeration and not add anything for pH at this time. You don't have any tabs in use do you? I'm confused by the CC to have 4.5 this morning for the OLCT then 0.5 later? That doesn't make sense. Maybe the first one was an error? It does look like you're allowing the FC to drop too low at times. It should never drop to 1.5, in fact with your current CYA, probably no less that 4 ppm at any time. I would increase the FC to about 6 right now. Before/after the next pool party, give it a little boost again. The FC/CYA Levels is your key to avoiding algae. If you sway from that, a SLAM Process might be next.

Huh, what? your OCLT loss was 1ppm last night, Or that was a few nights ago. When did you measure an FC of 1.5 and a CC of 4? Is that even possible?

Then you had a bleach party? How much bleach did you add? (in gallons?) you can expect to lose 3-4ppm daily just from sun and swimming. I'm just trying to follow the time line of your results.

Aeration can take time.. so be patient on that one. There are other avenues to bumping the pH.. but aeration is cheap and easy,.. its a typical first step.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Texas,

Ran the OCLT 2x. Wed night / Thurs morning and again Thurs night to Fri. Should have clarified that. The first test was FC 2.5 and CC 4.5, that was after 6 gallons of bleach, added another 6 Friday. FC wouldn't go past 3.5 and CC was 3.5 on Friday afternoon. Added more bleach last night. This morning FC 4.5 and CC is .5. I didn't believe so I tested 2x with the same results. Just topped off my bleach to get to 6ppm to align with the CYA.

I'm a pessimist by nature so will test again later today.

yes that makes more sense on the timeline. ... So how much was the chlorine loss for each OCLT? The difference between the morning FC and the previous night's FC? If that is below 1ppm then you are passing the OCLT. But with high CC like that something was growing in your pool and that number is dropping, that's good.. so the Higher FC is working.. just keep at it up. at some point FC numbers will hold.

Perfect.. Read up on adjusting your pH for when we get to that point. Go to the section on Raising PH, if you haven't read this already.
At some point no amount of aeration will change the pH.. at that point its in a kind of equilibrium with the TA and other levels. And you can use Borax or Soda Ash to bring it up. But I'll let Tex be your guide on when to pull the trigger on that addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.