Pool above underground utility lines

Grabowski727

May 24, 2020
Illinois
Hello! We are first time pool owners. We just bought and set up an above ground easy set pool 13ft. About 2,000 gallons. I did not know I had to call for underground utilities before I set up my pool. I found out that my pool is over tv and internet lines. My pool is not very big, and I always saw it as a temporary pool. Do I need to move it? Should I worry about electrocution? I know code says Not to have over any underground utilizes on larger pools but doesn’t specify with the size pool I have. I would hate to have to move it because I don’t think it will fit anywhere else in our yard and we already got the chemicals set right. Please let me know if their is honestly a risk or not much at all so probably not worth worrying about? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Sorry to tell you that NEC 680.11 says wiring under a pool is only permitted if the wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment. That applies to any size pool.

No one can tell you how unsafe it is. There can be faults in the underground wiring that can make it unsafe for people in or around the pool.

Call your cable company and have them disconnect that line and draw a new one going outside the pool area. Apparently it is not a huge endeavor and it will let you sleep at night. In the same boat, only I just found that I have this issue *before* I filled my pool. So guess who I am calling tomorrow... (Thank you to contributors who suggested this on my own thread, only minutes ago).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.