polyquat question

The guy at the pool store said Algae Destroyer by (Nature's Way) was what we needed when we asked for polyquat algaecide. (I looked at "Pool School" thread Winterizing above ground pools.) Is this what I should use. It has poly (oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene(dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) 60% and other ingredients 40%.

Thanks!

As long as it says "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient, you should be fine. Remember it's best to add only after your water temp has dropped below 60 degrees, and simply serves as "insurance" if your FC does not hold well enough over the winter. The SLAM FC is your primary algae deterrent.

As long as it says "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient, you should be fine. Remember it's best to add only after your water temp has dropped below 60 degrees, and simply serves as "insurance" if your FC does not hold well enough over the winter. The SLAM FC is your primary algae deterrent.

Polyquat 60 needs to be added when water 60 or below. Would that be before or after the slam?

For clarification, there isnt a SLAM process required for winterizing, (unless the pool needs it).
The FC is only raised to SLAM level before covering it.

I would recommend adding the polyquat after raising the FC, so as to ensure there is no way it might interfere with the FC test.

Polyquat 60 needs to be added when water 60 or below. Would that be before or after the slam?

See this post for winterizing instructions from Buckman Labs, the makers of Polyquat. You do not want very high chlorine levels with Polyquat since chlorine will oxidize it. Having a moderately higher level (say, half-SLAM level so FC/CYA ratio of 20%) is OK, but the idea is that the Polyquat should last through the winter even if the chlorine does not.

On the other hand, if you intend to have chlorine last through the winter, then raising it to a SLAM level will have it last longer, but the Polyquat may not be as good of insurance in that case.

That's a very good point Richard. Easy to overlook. It's clear in the "In-ground instructions:
SLAM - Two or three days before closing, I bring the pool up to shock level and hold it there until FC holds overnight (which it generally does right off on the first night). Then I let the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels, typically another day and a half.
The Above Ground instructions say it slightly different, so I can see where that would be easy to miss:
Clean and brush pool. Bring pool water to "shock" level and maintained there for 24hrs with pump running to be sure that there are no remaining algae blooms.
Very good point to remember. Glad you clarified that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.