PolyQuat- How long should this be mixed before closing the pool?

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I just read that PolyQuat can be mixed for only half an hour before closing. I was under the assumption that you were supposed to let the PolyQuat mix for 12-24 hours before closing? I’m kind of lost here as to how long I need to let the PQ to mix in my pool before closing it.

Buckingham Labs the manufacturer of Polyquat says to let it mix for 24 hours. Many mix it for less. Pool companies who use it at closing are not going to wait around. They pour it in the water when they arrive and close the pool soon after.

Give it at least a few hours to mix if you can.

Reactions: JoeSelf and Mendy48
Speaking of mixing Polyquat in, I just read a post with strong reasoning that your SLAM should come down to normal levels, THEN add the Poly. The link on here for closing the pool states to add when the SLAM is halfway back to normal levels. Which one is correct?

Speaking of mixing Polyquat in, I just read a post with strong reasoning that your SLAM should come down to normal levels, THEN add the Poly. The link on here for closing the pool states to add when the SLAM is halfway back to normal levels. Which one is correct?

Half SLAM FC levels or lower works fine.

How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization

Buckman Labs says that the Polyquat that is broken down is still effective as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down polyquat, but only turn it into shorter chain polymers that are still effective.

Also, if you close the pool with the water temperature cold (50ºF or below), then the algaecide will last a much longer time even in the presence of chlorine. That's the recommended approach.

Yes! Add when FC is half way back to normal.

From what I understand, when adding PolyQ at a SLAM FC level, your high FC will consume the PolyQ you just added and, thus, defeating the purpose of the PolyQ. Therefore, let your FC fall to about half of your SLAM level before adding PolyQ.

Yes! Add when FC is half way back to normal.

From what I understand, when adding PolyQ at a SLAM FC level, your high FC will consume the PolyQ you just added and, thus, defeating the purpose of the PolyQ. Therefore, let your FC fall to about half of your SLAM level before adding PolyQ.
As posted above...

Buckman Labs says that the Polyquat that is broken down is still effective as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down polyquat, but only turn it into shorter chain polymers that are still effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.