Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For the past two years I have closed at 1/2 SLAM level and added 16 oz. of Polyquat 60. Everything looks good upon spring opening. I have seen some threads where it is believed that the Polyquat is unnecessary. Just close at SLAM. So, do I need the Polyquat? It, like everything else, has gotten pretty expensive.

It gets pretty cold here in the winter, with the pool usually frozen solid for the first 3-4 inches on top, from mid-to-late December until late March/early April. I lower the water to about 3" below the skimmer and the return, and close as soon as the water temp hits 60 degrees usually mid-October. I use a screw-in plug on the return and pool noodles in the skimmer. I also use a solid cover with a pillow. I remove any fallen leaves from the cover around November 1st. Then, aside from shoveling excessive snow off the top as needed, I forget about it until spring. By plugging the return and "noodling" the skimmer, along with spring rains, I usually open to a pretty full pool. This eliminates putting excessive strain on our well.

For some it's become a habitual routine to add for insurance, but there are certainly many owners who don't use it. IMO, based on your conditions and routine, you probably don't need it. Take it to SLAM level and close. More opinions to follow. :)

Reactions: ghall6292
So here is my take on it FWIW. If you follow TFP closing, it's counterproductive.

The traditional old fashioned way was to cover the pool as is, and add a 30/60/90 algecide (the days it's supposed to last based on strength) to hopefully last long enough that the water is cold and algae went dormant.

If you only raise to SLAM FC (per TFP specs) the cover will greatly reduce UV loss and you'll likely have some FC to make it to cold water time.

What about both ? Well. Here's where it gets counter productive IMO. SLAM FC will oxidize the polyquat and leave you with less of both. So you go half SLAM in the hopes that you have more of each left. But again, in a covered pool, that SLAM FC is going to last plenty long and I'd rather start at 12 (for LC pools) instead of 6FC plus algecide.

Whichever way you go, it's in your best interests to take an hour right before the big freeze mid winter and test/add back to your preferred start point. Once the pool freezes you won't be able to brush either add around to mix it, but if you do it right before, you'll be fine until an early opening.

If you are going to open late, then test and dose again after the thaw to make it from March (?) to May.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
We close late September and open late May. I used Polyquat 60 one time. I didn't see any difference so decided to not use it again. We always open to no algae (lots of worms and snakes though, ick!).

Great responses. Thank you! Newdude, what you point out makes sense, in regard to using both. Spitdog, I do the same thing with a utility pump once the ice is gone. Sounds like we're all in agreement, then. Kum Ba Yah! (Incidentally, I follow a Traditional Archery forum where sometimes I suspect such a thing might lead to a suspension of privileges.) :unsure:

Also, Mickey- Thanks for letting me know that the shipment of worms and snakes arrived as planned. Great News!!! :laughblue:

Enjoy your day, folks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.