Polymeric sand or self-leveling sealant on expansion joint?

Jun 18, 2018
Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am wondering if I should use Polymeric sand or self-leveling sealant on expansion joint. I have travertine pavers going down on a dry set base. Pool PM says it doesn’t matter as long as there is a 3/8-½ inch expansion joint there. The deck builders say they often use polymeric sand between the pool beam and deck pavers. I heard that self-leveling sealant with a backer rod may be better from someone. What are you guys thoughts about this? Which is better, polymeric sand, sealant/backer rod, or nothing at all? Also, considering the ease of reinstalling ( if necessary) in several years. Thanks!!

I would go with foam backer and a self leveling caulk, like sikaflex. I don't think there will be enough room for expansion and contraction with the sand. Sand doesn't compress much and it packs in pretty tightly.

Reactions: BigEinAZ
I would go with foam backer and a self leveling caulk, like sikaflex. I don't think there will be enough room for expansion and contraction with the sand. Sand doesn't compress much and it packs in pretty tightly.
Thanks. Will sikaflex stain the travertine stone? Someone said that it could.

Hmmmm, I don't know. But, I think maybe it could. I haven't seen anyone say that it does. One trick of the trade is to use masking tape on either side of the expansion joint to make cleanup easier. That would also help with potential staining of the travertine.

Neither SikaFlex or Sonneborn products should stain travertine. Some Sika products aren’t recommended for prolonged chlorine exposure (5ppm) and some Sonneborn products in white don’t hold color under UV exposure. Whatever you decide, read the literature before deciding on a purchase.

Just curious, has anyone use Slab Gasket or Trim a Slam? Some of the joints I have to fill are pretty wide and deep. Backer rod is not going to fill the space at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.