Pollen or algae

dukeman

Sep 7, 2020
ocala, fl 34480
2nd summer with AGP. First summer went great. This summer, I brush sides and floor daily, green clouds puff up and away. Nothing on the surface of water, its all on the bottom and 1' up sides. This started suddenly 1 week ago. Chemicals are spot on. Water is clear but green, I can see ropes of ? along creases on floor. What the heck? Is something wrong with my filter? I have noticed water flow back into pool isn't as strong as it was last summer. (Filter runs 12 hours on a timer.)

If it isn't also showing up on your car, patio furniture, etc....it is NOT pollen. Sure sounds like algae to me.

Can you supply us with test results from your own testing:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How are you sanitizing the pool water?

Oh yeah, by the way... WELCOME TO TFP!! :wave:

Maddie

Yes, sounds like algae. I'm guessing your filter is also getting clogged and needs backwashing. Have you been watching your filter pressure and backwashing when it rises by 10% over the clean pressure?

If it isn't also showing up on your car, patio furniture, etc....it is NOT pollen. Sure sounds like algae to me.

Can you supply us with test results from your own testing:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How are you sanitizing the pool water?

Oh yeah, by the way... WELCOME TO TFP!! :wave:

Maddie
Thank you! Because my pool is small, comparatively speaking, and last summer went so well, I haven't been using the proper, detailed testing kit. I thought all I needed was the strips - that's what the pool seller and installer told me. Am purchasing the correct test kit today. And thanks for the welcome.

Yes, sounds like algae. I'm guessing your filter is also getting clogged and needs backwashing. Have you been watching your filter pressure and backwashing when it rises by 10% over the clean pressure?
Hello! I vacuum, backwash and rinse daily. It never gets better. Also, the pool installer said "don't worry about the pressure gauge". I have been SO mis-informed. I don't think the gauge works, it's always on the same number - whether clean or not.

While you are waiting on your test kit, I would do 2 things:

- Read up on the SLAM process in Pool School
- Add 5 ppm of FC to your pool each day using liquid chlorine, since it doesnt have any of the calcium or CYA as the other products (powdered shock, tabs, etc.). By my math that is going to be about a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine a day. Do this until you get a good test kit to keep the algae at bay. If you need a good source for liquid chlorine, most people have good luck at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.