Pollen affecting CC results?

Uncle Salty

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2017
South Carolina
Just curious if the high amounts of pollen can affect test results regarding CC? I read that if your CC measures higher than .5 it's a indicator of issues, however my water is crystal clear other than you can see pollen collecting along the walls. Does this call for a slam or just let it run its course keeping my FC where it's at? Here are my results from earlier.

FC 6.3
CC 1.2
PH 7.5
TA 128
CH 68
CYA 73
Temp 68*
Salt 3100

This the first time I've had anything over the .5 level.

A number of folks use a skimmer sock to help with pollen. Pollen is organic and CCs come from FC breaking down organics. So I bet that's what's going on.

During pollen season I put a paint strainer on my skimmer basket. The rest of the year I use hairnets.

A number of folks use a skimmer sock to help with pollen. Pollen is organic and CCs come from FC breaking down organics. So I bet that's what's going on.

During pollen season I put a paint strainer on my skimmer basket. The rest of the year I use hairnets.

Thanks for the response. I do have skimmer socks, I'll put a couple on tomorrow. So I don't need to worry or slam then?

If your water is honestly clear all the way to the deep end, then I would say you are okay. There is no harm in doing the SLAM if you want to.

Yes clear to the bottom in the deep end, can see the main drains clear as can be. I don't want to slam but wanted reassurance of that. I'll keep testing daily and keep a eye on it, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd just bump up FC a few points and see how it does.

Will do, I actually turned back my SWG as the FC was up to around 8.5, I'll put it back where it was. Thanks.

And don't forget to brush those walls now and then to get the pollen into circulation so the filter (or skimmer sock) can collect it.

Yip :flower:

Oh I've been brushing, my shoulder reminds me how much every morning. Does it also seem normal to have to backwash more? I backwashed Wed and went out this morning and had zero flow on my filter. I just backwashed again and flow seems good again, I do get a lot of tree debris and such.

Skimmer socks get rapidly clogged from pollen and can reduce flow significantly. They need to be checked daily or more often during peak pollen season. That could be part/most of your flow issue. The first time I used them I think I went two days and my pump started cavitating from lack of flow. I now use hair nets all the time (for pollen, small debris from by leyland cypress and dog hair). The are disposable so you don't have to rinse them out like skimmer socks.

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hair-Spun-Bonded-Polypropylene-White/dp/B002XK2FS0?th=1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.