Polaris - repair or trash?

May 2, 2021
Burlington, MA
Ok what would you do??
I have a polaris 9650iQ SPORT purchased in 2019. It worked for three seasons and died. It had no power to it at all when put in the water and turned on. I replaced it, and stored it in my garage for a year, thinking I would repair and keep as a backup if it was cost effective.
I finally got around to taking it Leslies for diagnostics and they say it runs fine on dry land, they sent videos. They say that since it fails in the water, it is either the plug or the motor. They don't have a way to test it in water to determine which it is.
So, they can replace the plug for $400 or the motor for $600 but they can't tell me which one will fix it. They seem pretty confident that it is one or the other. They tell me the cost of a new one is $1300, so replacing both seems not worth it to me. I do like the robot and think it cleans my pool well, and I know the new one I have will break eventually - they all do.
Do I...
1.) Replace the plug and hope it works?
2.) Replace the motor and hope it works?
3.) Throw it away?

Thanks!!

Ok what would you do??
I have a polaris 9650iQ SPORT purchased in 2019. It worked for three seasons and died. It had no power to it at all when put in the water and turned on. I replaced it, and stored it in my garage for a year, thinking I would repair and keep as a backup if it was cost effective.
I finally got around to taking it Leslies for diagnostics and they say it runs fine on dry land, they sent videos. They say that since it fails in the water, it is either the plug or the motor. They don't have a way to test it in water to determine which it is.
So, they can replace the plug for $400 or the motor for $600 but they can't tell me which one will fix it. They seem pretty confident that it is one or the other. They tell me the cost of a new one is $1300, so replacing both seems not worth it to me. I do like the robot and think it cleans my pool well, and I know the new one I have will break eventually - they all do.
Do I...
1.) Replace the plug and hope it works?
2.) Replace the motor and hope it works?
3.) Throw it away?

Thanks!!
Just for reference, there are other robots for half the cost of that one brand new

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.