Polaris Quattro Sport (side pressure cleaner) - drive shaft repair and fix!

tfpflana1502

Jul 10, 2021
Tomball, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
One turbine was hardly moving, other is moving fine and picking up debris as usual and all other moving parts are moving fine. It is the drive shaft which has white trapezoidal gears which drive the turbines.

1694036873456.png

Last edited:
ok so it was the drive shaft so you can see below I am attempting to gorilla glue it back. I have a parts only sport in the way to me off Ebay that will have a good drive shafts hopefully but figured what’s the harm trying to glue this one?

BTW, note that the area that it broke is right where the white gear plastic goes into the black shaft and ends. The white gear has a white shaft that goes into the black shaft about 2 inches and it is at the end of the 2 inches that it broke, so that tells me that is where the main part of the torque is for these.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Update....drive shaft appears to work fine with glue job. We'll monitor to see how long it holds.

After opening this one up, IMO, anyone can repair a number of things on these....they are super easy to work on.

I consider this a successful repair.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
How long have you had the cleaner? What did you have before? I have a Pentair racer now and thinking of going the Polaris route... either the p280 which seems to be recommended a bunch. But these seem like they would do a great job.

How long have you had the cleaner? What did you have before? I have a Pentair racer now and thinking of going the Polaris route... either the p280 which seems to be recommended a bunch. But these seem like they would do a great job.
Had it since April 2021 so over 2 years and well out of warranty. I recommend these for the ease of working on. I purchased a nonworking model off Ebay for parts for $100 and it was WELL WORTH IT! I could even fix that one for cheap and have a backup.
To me, the most annoying design flaw is where the upper cover that the filters fit into no longer fix snuggly to the filters and debris comes out the back. In a separate thread, I show how I glued some foam pipe insulation (cut to fit) to fill those gaps and it works like a charm now.
I highly recommend buying a nonworking model off Ebay and see what you can salvage from it when parts begin to fail. Check your unit once every couple months to make sure the turbines are both moving and it goes straight and spins when it is supposed to. I only run mine a couple times a week for less than an hour because my pool just doesn't get that dirty.

See this post for background.

Does anyone know a good plastic adhesive that will hold in saltwater under torque to fix my driveshaft? Epoxy? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.