Polaris pump wont start - humming

Jul 2, 2017
Baton Rouge
My Polaris pump (8 months old) will not start. I just makes a loud humming sound. After doing a little research online found that the most common problem is capacitor so went to local pool supplier and bought what they said was the correct replacement. Installed and still humming. Went back to store and they took one out of a new Polaris pump to make sure it was correct and I tried it. I felt confident it would work since all of the numbers matched uF, VAC, etc. However, no such luck, still humming. Help! I'm thinking possibly bad motor but shaft turns easily. Any ideas?

Barry,

Welcome to TFP... Normally a Great resource for all pump questions, not sure what happened to yours... :snorkle:

Let's see if one of our pump experts can chime in on this one..

:bump:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm not a pump expert but I'll contribute my $0.02.. You may want to verify there is no debris preventing the shaft/impeller from turning or that the shaft is not seized in place due to corrosion. If you're already replaced the start/run capacitor(s) and the shaft spins easily then you may have a bad winding in the motor which may be covered under warranty if it's less than a year old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.