Polaris PBSQ4 Booster Pump Question

Flipsonic

Aug 3, 2019
Northern California
I have this new booster pump along with new VSF pump. Is there a way to connect both so that the booster pump runs only when the VSF pump is on? I don't like the mechanical timer it's currently on since it could go out of sync with he VSF pump when there is power outage.

Unfortunately, no unless your pump is a Waterway Powerdefender 2.7. There are ways to do this with parts that are available (DIY), but nothing is commercially available. You can replace your mechanical time clock (most likely an Intermatic) with an electronic one. That is how my system is set up. The power would have to go out for over 8 hours before the clocks would get out of synch. (Intematic p1353ME)

Unfortunately, no unless your pump is a Waterway Powerdefender 2.7. There are ways to do this with parts that are available (DIY), but nothing is commercially available. You can replace your mechanical time clock (most likely an Intermatic) with an electronic one. That is how my system is set up. The power would have to go out for over 8 hours before the clocks would get out of synch. (Intematic p1353ME)

Thanks, will look in to that.

You could leave the variable speed pump on low continuously. It's pretty inexpensive at lower speed.

Yes I considered that. However I’m not running it continuously right now because I’m solar heating. I don’t have a controller for the VSF and solar to work together. I do have a solar controller (LX 220) which I leave on automatic at summertime. I can’t control when it turns on and off since it depends on available solar energy. With that said, how do I schedule the speed on the VSF? If there is a way which I haven’t thought of, let me know.

As long as the speed causes water to come out of the cleaner port at the pool when the booster is off, and there is still some water coming out of the returns when the booster is on, the speed should be good.

Thanks James. Yes at 1000 rpm the skimmer is moving and water is coming out of the returns. Regarding your controller suggestion, yes I have an Intermatic T30404R mech timer. I’m just concerned about the booster pump timer. I don’t want to replace the whole thing if I don’t have to. Couldn’t I just get a digital timer with battery back up connected between the power and booster pump? BTW the booster pump power is connected with the solar for delay purpose.7294CE3D-793F-4732-8514-C631E939B9C7.jpeg

What speed does the pump run?

What is the normal pump runtime per day?

Is the pump turned on and off by the mechanical timer or the digital timer on the pump?

Does the solar controller increase the pump speed when it activates solar?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The VSF pump runs at 2800 rpm for 4 hours during the day with the solar and 8 hours at night at 1000 rpm. It is connected to the mech timer which is at the on position all the time. The schedules are managed by the digital timer on the VSF. No the solar controller does not control the pump speed. It controls just the valve that turns on and off the solar depending on solar energy. The booster pump is connected to the mech timer as well. I want to install a digital timer with battery back up so it will never go out of sync with the VSF in case of power outage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.