Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a small leak in my Polaris pump. Initially, I though it was the drain plug. After lubing the O ring, I reinserted the plug but it still has a leak. Its 20 year old system and never had any problems with except for changing out the cleaner from 290 to P39. I am thinking I need to replace seals, O rings, and anything else that may be broken. So my plan is to dismantle the pump and look at all the parts. From other posts, I read that the parts are hard to come by. My questions;
1. While I take time doing this, is there an easy way to bypass the motor/plump plumbing?
2. Do you normally take out the assembly and work in the garage?
3. Any other suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Attachments

• Polaris1.jpg
    Polaris1.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Polaris2.jpg
    Polaris2.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 29
If you want to remove the booster pump to work on it then you can put a plug in the suction hose or connect the two hoses together.

Last edited:
Initially I thought so too that the drain plug was leaking. So I took it out, cleaned it well and cleaned the O ring too and lubed it and put the plug back in. I purchased an automotive inspection mirror this evening and I will check in the morning underneath the pump casing to exactly locate the leak. Hopefully, the casing does not have a crack in it.

I inspected the underside of the volute of the Polaris pump. It seems that the little nozzle where the drain plug screws in is cracked. Can I get away with just changing the volute or do I need to rebuild the whole pump unit(seals, o rings etc.? Looking at online pool stores, it looks like there two versions, before 1994 and after. How do I know which one I need? Thanks.

Note: New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001)

The older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001)

My number says PB090215 004. Somehow I thought I never changed the pump since we bought the house in 1998 (built in 1992).So looks like my pump was built in 2015 so I must have changed it. It is true that memory fades as one gets older (at least in my case). Thanks.

Reactions: JamesW
I agree. Where is this Hall of Fame? I think I may have purchased the whole motor/pump combo because I know for sure that I did not mess around with rebuilding the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where is this Hall of Fame?
It's currently in a storage unit in Bozeman Montana, but we are working on a full proper place for the unsung heroes of the pool equipment world.

Sure, the filter pumps get all the glory, but the humble booster pump works significantly harder.

Soon, they will be replaced by robots, but we should never forget their tireless service to homeowners everywhere in keeping their pools spotless.

So, the next time you look out at your crystal clear beautiful pool, stop and take a second to thank the booster pump.

I ordered new seals, drain plug with O ring and another O ring for the pump, and four quick connects for suction and discharge ports. Everything was in stock. I should get it within seven days. If I run into any issues, I will post again. Thanks for your input.

All the parts for rebuilding the pump arrived today. While putting it together, I found this crack. Never noticed it before. Is it part of the pump build or do I really have cracked housing?Is It cracked.jpg

Seems odd, but it looks like it's supposed to be like that.

r053670001.jpg

r053670002.jpg

I put everything together yesterday and the picture shows that the leak is even worse than before. I am thinking since the drain plug is new, the case may have a crack where this drain plug goes. I did inspect the case before but not that close. So off to another purchase.

Attachments

• Polaris Leak.jpg
    Polaris Leak.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 9
I received the volute and completed the assembly of PB460. As the picture show I hand tightened the hose connections and put a wrench to quarter turn it. I do have some seepage at two connections. How tight should make these connections? I was afraid of cracking the nozzles.

Attachments

• Seepage.jpg
    Seepage.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.