Polaris P825 shutting down immediately after turning on

Schuck

Mar 2, 2022
Georgia
Hey all - I have a Polaris P825 that is going into it's 5th functional year. Last fall I had a problem with it not moving when on; since then I've replaced the motor, the brush rollers, brush scrubbers, tracks, and exhaust vents - basically everything but the cord. Once replaced, the cleaner has been working great.

This week, however, I started having a new problem - I put the robot in the water, turn on the control unit, start the cleaning cycle, and within seconds the unit turns off. It's doing that 100% of the time now. Does anyone know why the unit (control unit itself) would just turn off? Is that a built-in shut down if a fault/short is detected? I can't believe I have a problem with the robot itself since it's pretty much rebuilt. I've done a quick scan of the cord from the control unit to the robot and don't see any obvious issues (just some normal wear & tear). Also note, the unit is plugged into a GFCI outlet, and it's not tripping.

Any advice/help is appreciated - I really don't want to buy a new robot, especially after rebuilding this one!

Bumping up to see if anyone has any insight? I've checked the cord from the control unit to the robot and it has some possible wear areas that might be a problem. I'll likely order a new one and give this a try but would love suggestions from anyone with any pointers...

I am having the same issue. I was thinking about replacing the control unit, but it costs nearly half as much as a new unit and I probably would not buy this cleaner again anyway. I opened up the control board to inspect the circuit boards and there is nothing obviously wrong with it visually - no popped capacitors or burn marks anywhere. There is a replaceable fuse, but it has no markings to know what size or amperage it is rated for. I did test the fuse electrically and it appears to be good. Mine has a newish umbilical cord and recently rebuilt gearbox. Any findings on this problem from anyone else?

I am having the same issue with mine. Where it turns off after 15 seconds and no reason as to why. I had it inspected by my local pool store and they said I would need to replace the power supply (Roughly $400) but I am not sure if there is something I can replace rather than the whole thing.

I’m having the same issue with the P955 model. Unbelievable. The power comes on intermittently and then shuts off as soon as I hit start. Can’t find a workaround. Really disappointed about the quality of this expensive product. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks

This is almost always the plug. The plug part that plugs into the control unit can be unscrewed and you'll see set screws connecting the wires into it. Those screws come loose and the wires break at the set screw. Re-seat the plug wires and put it back together. I did this with mine and it now works perfectly.

This is almost always the plug. The plug part that plugs into the control unit can be unscrewed and you'll see set screws connecting the wires into it. Those screws come loose and the wires break at the set screw. Re-seat the plug wires and put it back together. I did this with mine and it now works perfectly.
Are you referring the plug that goes to the wall outlet or the plug that goes to the actual robot?

Are you referring the plug that goes to the wall outlet or the plug that goes to the actual robot?

My Polaris has a control unit that the cord on the robot plugs into. The end that plugs into the control unit has failed for me and others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m having the same issue with the P955 model. Unbelievable. The power comes on intermittently and then shuts off as soon as I hit start. Can’t find a workaround. Really disappointed about the quality of this expensive product. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks
I had the same problem last year with my P955 and it turned out to be the cord although there was no visible damage to it.

Hey all - I have a Polaris P825 that is going into it's 5th functional year. Last fall I had a problem with it not moving when on; since then I've replaced the motor, the brush rollers, brush scrubbers, tracks, and exhaust vents - basically everything but the cord. Once replaced, the cleaner has been working great.

This week, however, I started having a new problem - I put the robot in the water, turn on the control unit, start the cleaning cycle, and within seconds the unit turns off. It's doing that 100% of the time now. Does anyone know why the unit (control unit itself) would just turn off? Is that a built-in shut down if a fault/short is detected? I can't believe I have a problem with the robot itself since it's pretty much rebuilt. I've done a quick scan of the cord from the control unit to the robot and don't see any obvious issues (just some normal wear & tear). Also note, the unit is plugged into a GFCI outlet, and it's not tripping.

Any advice/help is appreciated - I really don't want to buy a new robot, especially after rebuilding this one!
I am having a similar issue. About a month ago the robot would turn on and would spin for about 5 sec then turn off with the first error blinking light. 1 blink every second. I tried the troubleshooting tips and didn’t change anything. I pulled it out. Soaked it in the tub with tiny bit of CLR and then I plugged it in to another plug and it worked. Now is doing the same thing with this outlet. It’s not the plug. I’ve checked it. Annoying since this wasn’t a cheap cleaner and should last longer than 1.5 yrs. Will prob have to take for diagnostic check I guess

Salut à tous - J'ai un Polaris P825 qui entre dans sa 5ème année fonctionnelle. L'automne dernier, j'ai eu un problème avec le fait qu'il ne bougeait pas lorsqu'il était allumé; depuis lors, j'ai remplacé le moteur, les rouleaux de brosse, les épurateurs de brosse, les pistes et les évents d'échappement - essentiellement tout sauf le cordon. Une fois remplacé, le nettoyeur fonctionne très bien.

Cette semaine, cependant, j'ai commencé à avoir un nouveau problème - je mets le robot dans l'eau, allume l'unité de contrôle, démarre le cycle de nettoyage et en quelques secondes l'unité s'éteint. Il le fait 100% du temps maintenant. Est-ce que quelqu'un sait pourquoi l'unité (l'unité de contrôle elle-même) s'éteindrait ? Est-ce un arrêt intégré si un défaut/court-circuit est détecté ? Je ne peux pas croire que j'ai un problème avec le robot lui-même puisqu'il est à peu près reconstruit. J'ai fait une analyse rapide du cordon de l'unité de commande au robot et je ne vois aucun problème évident (juste une usure normale). Notez également que l'appareil est branché sur une prise GFCI et qu'il ne se déclenche pas.

Tout conseil/aide est apprécié - je ne veux vraiment pas acheter un nouveau robot, surtout après avoir reconstruit celui-ci !
we buy in 04-2021 have same problem

This explains the issue and how to fix plug issues.

I have a Polaris 9350. At 2 years, it suddenly began malfunctioning. Every time I tried to start the device, it would turn itself off within 5 seconds. As described in the GREAT Youtube video above, one of the wires was loose. Re-tightened the set screw and all was good again. Thank you for the info and the video.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.