Polaris Booster Pump tripping breaker. Is my subpanel not wired properly?

May 30, 2018
Vienna, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello. Occasionally, the breaker inside the house (in the garage) trips. I have not yet found a 100% reproducible cause, but I believe that most of the time it happens right when the Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q Booster Pump is set to turn on. However, it has happened in other situations, such as while the Polaris had already been running for some time, or right when it was set to turn off. I believe I also saw it happen when the Polaris was not running at all (I had turned off the Polaris breaker in the subpanel), but I think that's rare.

I'm fairly certain this issue started happening after we installed the CircuPool SWG, so I'm wondering if the breaker is being overloaded.
I've attached photos of the subpanel and inside panel. The booster pump is running at 115V, and the manual says that the starting current may exceed 15 amps, so they recommend a 20A service breaker for the pump. According to the subpanel, it is hooked up to a 20A breaker. What I'm not sure of is whether those 2 breakers in the inside panel that both say 20A means the total load is 40A or is it still 20A for all the equipment? Either way, it seems like something is not right because the total in the subpanel is 55A (two 20A breakers and one 15A breaker), or is that not the right math? The 15A breaker is for the light in the pool, but I think it might be hooked up to another box that's beside the pool, and maybe not to the inside panel?

Another theory I had was that it was due to a malfunctioning Intermatic T101R timer that's connected to the Polaris pump. I removed the tripper pins and noticed the ON pin was bent out of shape, and there was melted grease on the mechanism. I thought that perhaps it was getting stuck and couldn't turn the pump on, and it was overheating, and tripped the breaker.

I removed the pins, and after running for some time, it tripped the breaker, which I thought meant the mechanism was getting stuck even without the pins. However, I recently had a brand new mechanism installed, and the problem happened again. The same day the mechanism was replaced, it didn't trip the breaker, but next day, it did. But today it's been fine. It was set to turn on about 45 minutes ago and it's still running.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 13
You have a 20 amp breaker in your main house panel feeding your pool subpanel That contains a 1 HP pump + booster pump + SWG. Those three devices together probably pull more than 20 amps at times and trip the main panel breaker.

You need a 30 amp or 40 amp breaker in the main panel and the wiring between the main panel and the subpanels probably needs to be upgraded.

I suggest you get a qualified electrician to increase the electrical service to the pool subpanel.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.