Polaris Booster pump leaking after replacing impeller

Feb 6, 2018
Milton, GA
Hello - I recently replaced the o-ring, seal and impeller on a pb4-60 booster pump. After turning the pump on it appeared to work, but after less than a minute water began gushing out of where the shaft goes into the volute (I'm not 100% sure I'm using the correct terminology). I noticed when replacing the impeller that the original impeller was about half the thickness of the new impeller.

I found a thread * that suggests using a small amount of sealant to correct the issue, but I'm curious if the difference in original and new impellers could be causing the issue. From the model number it seems to be the correct part, but I'm wondering if the extra size could be causing an increase in pressure that is causing the leak?

* Polaris Booster pump leaks after replacing seal and impeller

It's the wrong impeller. There are two different impellers depending on the serial number.

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001) uses part number R0445500 (Polaris Mechanical Seal) whereas the older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001) use part number P55 (Polaris Seal, Stainless Steel Cup and Spring).

For the older model, the stainless steel cup goes in the bracket/seal plate with the black graphite part pointing out. The rubber part goes in the impeller with the ceramic sticking out. A 1" PVC coupling fits perfectly over the cup to help insert the stainless cup into the bracket/seal plate.

For the newer model, the rubber part goes in the backplate/sealplate/bracket with the ceramic sticking out, while the spring part goes on the impeller with the black graphite part sticking out.

Note: New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

New impeller R0536400, seal R0445500, oring R0536600.

Old impeller P15, seal P55, oring P95.

It's the wrong impeller. There are two different impellers depending on the serial number.

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001) uses part number R0445500 (Polaris Mechanical Seal) whereas the older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001) use part number P55 (Polaris Seal, Stainless Steel Cup and Spring).

For the older model, the stainless steel cup goes in the bracket/seal plate with the black graphite part pointing out. The rubber part goes in the impeller with the ceramic sticking out. A 1" PVC coupling fits perfectly over the cup to help insert the stainless cup into the bracket/seal plate.

For the newer model, the rubber part goes in the backplate/sealplate/bracket with the ceramic sticking out, while the spring part goes on the impeller with the black graphite part sticking out.

Note: New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

New impeller R0536400, seal R0445500, oring R0536600.

Old impeller P15, seal P55, oring P95.

This was it - after I installed the correct impeller it began working flawlessly. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.