Polaris 360 & back up valve issues

Caro67

Jul 9, 2019
Darnestown, MD
Hi all ! I'm new to the forum, and also a newbie pool owner (about 2 years). I haven't run into major issues so far, so I'm still learning :)
Here's my issue, if anyone can't help me troubleshoot it, that would be great because I'm getting frustrated.

I had to replace the back-up valve of my Polaris 360. I ordered a new one (case + mechanism) online. I replaced the old one, it was working well for a few days and then the valve started to get "stuck" in reverse mode. I contacted the shop where I bought it and they replaced the mechanism part. Again, it was working fine a few days, and then same symptoms ! I noticed a lot of water coming out from the pressure relief valve (at the quick disconnect) so I changed that piece (the pressure relief valve only). Polaris going strong, back up valve cycling correctly. Until yesterday. I come back home, stuck in reverse again. This time I noticed a tear in the hose (wasn't there before). So I shorten the hose a little bit to remove the damaged part. Everything works fine for a few cycles and then it gets stuck in reverse again ! I don't know what else to check... The RPM looks good (30 RPM as I checked yesterday). Back up valve mechanism seems ok when I open it, it doesn't get stuck, no debris etc.

I also removed the cleaner at some point (only left the back up valve and whites hoses) and it didn't help - so I'm thinking the problem comes from something "before" the back up valve.

Any advice on what to do or check next ?

Thanks !

Caroline

Any luck with this Caroline? I'm so annoyed with my Polaris. Back up valve stuck in on position and took the mechanism out and to my local shop and they said it looks fine. Pressure good, no leaks in the hose. About to toss this thing.

My polaris is weird, some days it works great but most days are like today..Just sits there and won't hardly move even when I turn the pressure up..I am about over it and ready to invest in a robot..

My polaris is weird, some days it works great but most days are like today..Just sits there and won't hardly move even when I turn the pressure up..I am about over it and ready to invest in a robot..
Older thread but some may still have same problems... I just fixed my situation tonight. Replaced the reverse case due to the ring collar that was cracked. Now, it is stuck in reverse or partially stuck in reverse. I noticed the small quarter inch o-ring that goes on the discharge / reverse thrust port that was broken and missing. The case is charged with pressured water and it was literally in reverse constantly. I replaced that small oring and now he valve cycles and shuts down completely. To test, sit the valve on the side deck of the pool, with reverse thrust pointed to the pool and cleaner unit in water. Go through a cycle and see if it shuts down completely. If not, this could be a problem or the mechanism / gearbox is broken. Thinking back, this o-ring leak was making the Polaris ride on two wheels and not hug the bottom of the pool as there was always some pressure coming out in the reverse port area. Hope this helps..

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.