Polaris 280: Squealing coming from pressure relief valve

Hi all. I just want to start by saying I am the least mechanically minded person alive. I have ZERO intuition about how things work.
My problem is that there is a high pitched squealing coming from the "quick-disconnect" connector in my pool. I think it's coming from the pressure valve. I can feel water coming out of it around the edge (see pic). First of all, is that normal? Am I supposed to feel water coming out of it? Second, what will stop the squealing? Tightening it? Loosening it? It's VERY VERY tightly on there and I can't get it to move in either direction. Should I replace the whole thing? Or try to get just the valve out and replace it?

Attachments

• AmazonSmile-MAKHOON-9-100-9001-UWF-Connector-Assembly-for-Compatible-with-Polaris-91009001-380...png
    AmazonSmile-MAKHOON-9-100-9001-UWF-Connector-Assembly-for-Compatible-with-Polaris-91009001-380...png
    198.8 KB · Views: 4
I also get a squealing or "whistling" sound out of my universal wall fitting/quick disconnect, but only when my Polaris is running. Do you hear it all the time, even when the Polaris isn't running? That might indicate a leaking part that needs to be replaced. If the water is coming out the sides, that sounds like a leak to me which indicates replacing parts might be needed.

In my case, I had to open the pressure relief a bit to deliberately reduce the pressure going to my Quattro so it wouldn't try to climb out of the pool. I presume that is the cause of my whistling. It's annoying, but I can ignore it since it only happens when Quattro is running, which it never is when anyone's swimming.

I had exactly the same issue and figured it out. Of course yours could be different. The o-ring of the quick disconnect was a few hundreds too skinny. I had an old one from a broken fitting that was fatter. With that, no tone. I figured this out after slathering the skinny ring with magic lube stopped the squeal. But it kept coming back. The fat one stops it with barely any lube at all. The kicker is both disconnects are OEM Pentair at least by labeling.

This might be a generic problem. I also had a suction side leak at the pump that turned out to be a brand new too-skinny lid o-ring.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.