Plumbing Redesign

mts37

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2016
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Hi all,
I’m looking to reroute the piping at my equipment pad. The existing piping which I inherited is not installed very cleanly - for example the inline chlorinator is kind of floating in mid air. The piping running along the ground traps leaves and dirt and it’s just not easy to work around when closing the pool.

Any suggestions on a better way to run the piping? Or maybe it looks fine?7DBB183C-2E69-4924-9CF1-E8E3B73090C8.jpeg

I don't see a lot to be gained by screwing with it... :scratch:

If this were my setup, and I was looking for work to do, I would work on the enclosure and maybe add some kind of fabric roof in an effort to keep all the leaves out.

Before I saw your pic I expected to see a pad with a hundred 90 degree fittings and pipes going everywhere.. Compared to what we often see here, you have a pretty clean set up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Agree with Jim. I used to be a piping engineer and I don't see you being able to do much better so I wouldn't touch it unless you have a technical problem. I would put a plastic shim under the clorinator if it is floating and get a small backpack blower for maintenance and save yourself the heartburn of re-piping this.

Reactions: mts37
Jim,
Thanks for the positive comments about the current setup. There were two other reasons I was looking to slightly redo things:
(1) I had a small pinhole leak in the suction piping (it was really old flexible pvc from the black pipe to the pump). When I replaced everything with rigid pvc, I used a threaded 90 directly on the pump and when fully tightened the 90 was pointing downwards (oops..). I need to use a threaded male adapter on the pump to make it tight and then build out the rest of the pipe.

(2) I have a salt cell which I was going to install (but held off on for now...see my other threads). I thought the salt cell installation would be tricky with the return piping running right along the concrete pad. So I was going to cut the pipe and move things off the ground a little bit.

I’ll leave the piping as is for now and I’ll just fix my suction issue.

Thanks,
Matt

The roof was just an idea to keep the leaves out.. I was thinking of something more tent like.. High in the middle and lower on the edges.. I would assume, if not right down on top of the fence, it would work fine. I was thinking of outdoor fabric like pool sails are made off..

That said it was just one option,, I suspect there are better ones.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

My salt cell (IC40), installed prior to my purchase of the home, is installed directly on the ground and I concur this is a slight pain. I typically just shove a small shim under the pipe at the beginning and end of the season to install/remove the cell at the unions. You only need about 1/4" clearance. I will say that it doesn't take a lot of torque to seal the cell at the o-rings though (lube up the o-ring each season). I have typically used a pipe strap wrench but this year I did it by hand and it held with no leaks first try. What is the current clearance off the pad on your return?? Will you have enough clearance or will the piping have to be moved up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.