Plumbing question

Apr 7, 2014
Central California
I converted my 3600 gallon AGP to 1.5” pvc plumbing. It originally had the 1” hoses with a single return and two inlets. I also installed a Hayward skimmer and plugged off the middle inlet hole. The return is a 1” directional Hayward jet. I have good flow but my pressures for the 16” sand filter are at 8psi which is right below the threshold between the green and yellow on the pressure gauge. My question is would it be better to modify my plumbing and install a second return to creat high volume low pressure or leave it the way it is? I know this is probably a bit overkill for a pool this size but we plan on leaving it up through the winter so I wanted to give it the best chance possible. I have also tried closing off the second intake valve but it doesn’t lower the pressure too much and causes cavitation in the filter at the pump. Not sure why that happens.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Either way will work. It'll be fine like it is as long as you're getting good circulation, which I'm sure you are. But if you wanted to add a second return that wouldn't hurt anything and you'd get a little more flow overall.

Reactions: 836byK9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.