Plumbing question - what size?

Robynethridge

Jun 23, 2019
League city, TX
I am installing a 28,500 gallon pool in south Houston, TX (owner build). The pool designer I used specified 3" main drain and 2-2" skimmer lines. The plumber is telling me a 2" main drain line is plenty. He is saying that is 6" of pipes I will have coming in to the pump (3 - 2" pipes coming in). I have researched and I see that the gpm for 2" is 63gpm and for 2.5" is 90 gpm. And for my size of pool when you look at the turnover rate for 6 hours the gallons per minute should be 80. So should I be using 2.5" pipe for the skimmers and main drain? The pump is the pentair vsp 011056.

Especially if you have long runs, I'd recommend the 2.5" lines. You may want to consider eliminating the main drain entirely and going with 2.5" lines from each skimmer plumbed independently all the way to the equipment pad.

The daily turnover requirement is a myth, so don't chase it. You'll most likely be using a VSP at low rpm.

Reactions: Robynethridge
Thank you for the replies! The pool is 8 ft deep so I do think a main drain is the way to go vs skimmers only. And it is not a long drain run - maybe 30 ft at the most. I think I read somewhere that 90% of the water should be coming from the skimmers - is that right?

I am installing an owner build swimming pool in south Houston. We are going to do 2.5" suction lines, my question is at what point does the skimmer convert from 2" to 2.5"? Does the plumber need to put a coupler on the skimmer immediately and have it plumbed to 2.5" at stub out? The plumber is saying it can be done later outside the gunite.

It does not make a big difference where the transition from 2 to 2.5 occurs.

2” in general is good enough. Why you insisting on 2.5”?

Several other people in the forum had recommended 2.5". I figured if the price difference is minimal then 2.5 would allow better flow to the pump.

I don't know who these several people are and what they said.

At speeds your VS pump should be run at it will not make any difference.

It's your money to spend.

Reactions: Robynethridge
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.