Plumbing Intellichlor IC40

billyjoeraybob

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2008
SC Midlands
I will be installing an Intellichlor IC40 this weekend. While planning out the plumbing I came up with an interesting question. Currently I have a 2" line coming from my heater with plenty of room to add the check valve and the cell. However, this line feeds the returns in both my pool and spa. Do I need to isolate the cell so it is only on the pool returns or just shut off the cell when using the spa? The installation manual doesn't reference a pool/spa combo that I can find. I just don't want to super chlorinate the spa when it is in use

Welcome to TFP!

If you have an automation system controlling the SWG, it can probably adjust the chlorine output automatically when you are in spa mode, in which case you mount the SWG before the split. But if the SWG is running standalone then you want to mount the cell after the split so it only feeds the pool.

You can still install before split and turn it off when you are not using it. It will be pain in the arse though, and you are quite likely to forget to turn it back on after using spa, and risk your pool go green. If you usually use a spa at certain time, you could just set the timer to turn the chlorinator off for that time.

Or you could make it take water before the split, and output after the split.

Just to follow up. I installed the IC40 last Saturday. The install was a breeze! After further review of the instructions and a call to Pentair. I determined that the SWCG needed to be plumbed before the split. So that's what I did. I haven't been in the spa yet but hopefully my skin wont peel off! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.