Plumbing Help

It is unlikely the pool has 0 CYA unless it was fully drained.

Adding the CYA that way will take a week or so for most of what you added to dissolve. Test your CYA after a week. Assume for now the CYA is at the level you targeted for FC levels.

Anyone with a similar model care to chime in on where they set their chlorination levels? 5000 gallon, seldom used pool that has had very high free chlorine levels. New owner of the pool and realized recently they had it set to 100%. I've currently got it set to 25% and will re-check in a week.

You must determine how much FC your pool consumes each day and set the SWCG to generate that. What other pools consume is irrelevant.

In your climate, with a CYA of 70 ppm, I would suspect your pool will consume between 3 and 4 ppm FC per day.

Please put the model number/name of your SWCG in your signature and we can explain how Poolmath will help you determine how long and at what setting your SWCG must be set at to generate 3 ppm FC.

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie
You must determine how much FC your pool consumes each day and set the SWCG to generate that. What other pools consume is irrelevant.

In your climate, with a CYA of 70 ppm, I would suspect your pool will consume between 3 and 4 ppm FC per day.

Please put the model number/name of your SWCG in your signature and we can explain how Poolmath will help you determine how long and at what setting your SWCG must be set at to generate 3 ppm FC.
Done, thank you.
*Hayward Pool Pilot PPC 1

Last edited:
Done, thank you.
*Hayward Pool Pilot PPC 1
Hayward does not make a SWCG with that name. Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital PPC1 is a similar name.

If it is the Autopilot SWCG, it should add 1.3 ppm FC to your pool for each hour you run it at 100%. But check that that is the SWCG you have. It is designed for a 35000 gallon pool.

Hayward does not make a SWCG with that name. Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital PPC1 is a similar name.

If it is the Autopilot SWCG, it should add 1.3 ppm FC to your pool for each hour you run it at 100%. But check that that is the SWCG you have. It is designed for a 35000 gallon pool.
OK got it. Yes, it's an Autopilot PPC 1. I've got it setup in the app. It's calling for 20% (3 ppm FC generated) I'm getting the hang of this....very slowly. I'm thinking I need to go even lower for the time being so it actually drops. If 20% will create 3 ppm and that's roughly what my pool burns then it won't ever drop. Am I thinking about this correctly? Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Just a quick update and question...I've turned my SWCG down to 0% for the past few days because of how slow the FC was dropping even at 20%. Down to 9ppm TC this morning and would like to drop a few more points (CYA is at 70ppm). I assumed my pool would burn more FC with the heat here, but we hardly use the pool and have had some cloudy days recently. Would this contribute to the slow drop in FC?

I'm planning on bumping up to 10-20% on the generator once I hit 6 ppm FC. I want to be prudent in raising it as it seems to generate and raise FC way faster then it burns off currently.

Clouds reduce UV. So less FC is lost. Do not be too concerned with your FC going up a bit on cloudy days as the next sunny day or heavy use of pool will reduce the FC.

Once you get a feel for where you want to be initially, just bump it up a little when you see you have a heat wave coming. Testing FC at least twice a week after you get a feel for it should be plenty. You'll learn where you are at and make the adjustments. Also, it is always best to err on the side of too much chlorine than too little, especially if you're generating your own (SWG):whoot:. A couple ppm too high is insignificant as you can swim safely all the way up to SLAM level. A couple extra ppm won't get you anywhere near there. Also, it gives you a little cushion in case you have a power failure when you're not there. Target the high end of the FC/CYA chart for your FC. Don't give it a chance to drop down to the minimum and you shouldn't have any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update and a problem...replaced the filter, ensured the baskets were cleaned out. PSI at 6, great flow. When I shift the valves to use only the skimmer the PSI drops to zero and then raises. It will continue this cycle until I open the main drain and skimmer again. Previously I was able to only use the skimmer and maintain PSI. The pool is filled past the halfway point on the skimmer.

When you switch to the skimmer, what does your pump lid basket look like? Does the water level drop any? Does it start creating lots of bubbles? You may have a leak at the skimmer (hopefully not). Check any valves or fittings along the skimmer line if you can all the way to the front of the pump. Maybe there's a small leak, or the the valve gasket has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Try putting shaving cream of soapy water around all the glue joints on the fittings or around the top of the valve body where it screws down. If there's a leak, you'll see the shaving cream or the soapy water getting sucked in.

That is troubling though.

When you switch to the skimmer, what does your pump lid basket look like? Does the water level drop any? Does it start creating lots of bubbles? You may have a leak at the skimmer (hopefully not). Check any valves or fittings along the skimmer line if you can all the way to the front of the pump. Maybe there's a small leak, or the the valve gasket has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Try putting shaving cream of soapy water around all the glue joints on the fittings or around the top of the valve body where it screws down. If there's a leak, you'll see the shaving cream or the soapy water getting sucked in.

That is troubling though.
I assume I don't have to run all skimmer and can do 50/50 w. the main drain. See below link. First vid is skimmer with main and skimmer running, second is all skimmer (notice increased flow), third is what happens in pump basket when I shift to all skimmer. The pressure is now just dropping to 5, then surging back up to 10. I wonder if because I have the after market skim a round installed its created too much flow into the skimmer I can adjust the flow rate of the skimmer on the basket, it's currently set for max flow.

*Checked for any obvious leaks near the valve and saw nothing when I sprayed it w. soapy water.

Last edited:
Yeah, that skimmer is different than mine. Mine appears to be made out of cement and it has a square leaf basket (not round).

There is definitely an increase in turbulence when you shift to all skimmer. No doubt about it. With that skimmer you have, I see a lot of ridges as you go up the wall. You might try using some dye to see if you have any leaks through any of those ridges? I believe you need to turn the pump off so there is no suction and then introduce the dye into the water and see if it escapes out of any of those seams. If it does, you could just put a bead of silicone all the way around and maybe that fixes it. I just saw someone do that on a you tube video just the other day by chance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.