Plumbing design help

Jul 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hi guys,
I've finished my pool remodel and now want to start to tackle my plumbing issues. I'll post pic of what I have now (and my best blue print, remember I am not a plumber I'm in the Navy...haha). This is how I inherited the pool plumbing, moved in 3 years ago.

Things I know I need to do:
1) add check valve before filter input (I have sucked de back into pool before)
2) What I have labeled as a circled 5, goes to a waterfall/slide now. I want to move that to the single speed jet pump output.
3) eventually adding solar, so need to keep that in mind
4) The check valve/clean out between the 2 pumps I believe is stuck open.
5) Skimmer #1 and 2 does not go though the filter right now, this may be from #4 listed above? The VS pump should be able to pull from all three but it does not. If I turn on the single speed it does pull through them but the single speed does not output to filter.
6) I use a robot, so no suction side cleaner needed

I tried to make it simple, hopefully you can follow along. Only advise I received involves adding an additional pump, wondering if there is another solution?
Please ask more questions if it will help. Looking for advise and thoughts.
Thanks
Jayson

Attachments

• Pool_plumbing_pics.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2716.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 18
It's all gonna depend on how you use the pool and features. A single VS pump can handle the whole thing if you dont want water features and spa at same time. You could plumb the pool spa together and just use a single entry point or T into the suction and run a dedicated water feature pump. They are specialized to move large amounts of water at slower speeds than regular pumps. The lines have alot of couplings on them so someone has made changes and the line behind filter is very bad with all the wierd bends not needed. The single speed pump has a 90 into a street 90 I would get rid of that. Basically if it were my pad I'd dig down to below grade to expose pipe and cut and couple underground and bring up pipes to where you need them. Thinking it out and drawing a plan is best way you dont have to work with the stub ups that are there now it doesn't make sense how its stubbed currently. I also prefer manifolds with 2way valves whenever possible sometimes 3ways dont work well but are put in to save money on valves. Pentairs are cheaper than jandy and are just as good buy them online much cheaper

It's all gonna depend on how you use the pool and features. A single VS pump can handle the whole thing if you dont want water features and spa at same time. You could plumb the pool spa together and just use a single entry point or T into the suction and run a dedicated water feature pump. They are specialized to move large amounts of water at slower speeds than regular pumps. The lines have alot of couplings on them so someone has made changes and the line behind filter is very bad with all the wierd bends not needed. The single speed pump has a 90 into a street 90 I would get rid of that. Basically if it were my pad I'd dig down to below grade to expose pipe and cut and couple underground and bring up pipes to where you need them. Thinking it out and drawing a plan is best way you dont have to work with the stub ups that are there now it doesn't make sense how its stubbed currently. I also prefer manifolds with 2way valves whenever possible sometimes 3ways dont work well but are put in to save money on valves. Pentairs are cheaper than jandy and are just as good buy them online much cheaper
Thanks. Yes lots of changes have been made on this set up over the years (before we bought here).

I agree to start by digging down and move up. If you bring all 3 skimmers into the VS pump do you need any check valve between them?

I really think if I just move the water feature and spa to the single speed it would make thing easier.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.