Plumber used flexible PVC - anything I can do now?

Cluckr7

Jun 19, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I’m pretty disappointed - the plumber who did the rough plumbing used flexible PVC in a LOT of places in our pool. It’s in the spa loop, the skimmer connections, bubbler, main drain, and water feature drains.

Unfortunately I didn’t even realize this was a “thing” and didn’t think to look it up until after gunite. I was pretty shocked about what seems to be a pretty strong consensus against flexible PVC at least in the south.

I’m assuming there’s not really anything I can do about it now, except hope that it doesn’t leak down the road? And also talk to my PB to make sure it’s not used anywhere else?

Yeah, it was used quite a bit in mine as well. Not uncommon or the worst thing as long as they made clean cuts, glued well, and ensured the connections are supported where needed to help avoid stress on the joints.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with flexible PVC. Very common. Pools and spas come pre-plumbed with it from the manufacturer.

If flex PVC is run around pool walls it is likely not a problem. When run across dirt it can be.

From

It is not resistant to insects, in particular, termites have been known to eat it. Research has shown flexible PVC does not attract termites, however if flexible pvc is placed in between a termite nest and a food source, they may try to eat their way through it. (They are too dumb to go around it.) FlexPVC.com will not be responsible for failure due to insect damage, nor rocks rubbing against the pipe and wearing a hole in it. You can lace your backfill and trenches with boric acid to reduce the likelihood of termites, but it won't last forever. If you have termite infestation and want to use Flexible PVC pipe, you should retreat your trenches every few years to be safe, just like you do your house, garage, etc.

I believe flexible PVC has a maximum psi rating of 60 psi vs regular schedule 40 2" pvc pipes that is 280 psi. I dont think you will ever see 60 PSI but regular sch40 is better for sure in terms of strength. Did the pool builder did a pressure test on the piping? As long as they did that and had the equipment at 30-40 PSI then I think it will be ok.

Thank you for the responses. I guess there’s not much to do now. They will pressure test the lines and they will use rigid for the remainder of the plumbing.

I’m frustrated because the bid says “Schedule 40 PVC for all plumbing, Schedule 80 at the pump connections”.

My pool is over 30 years old, in an area with high termite activity, has a stretch underground in dirt about 20-30ft long with flex PVC and there have been no issues with it. I wouldn't start freaking out just because you have it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.