Please use eye protection (goggles) when adding Muratic Acid

FlaPoolGuy

Oct 5, 2019
Florida
If I accidentally get any MA vapors in my nose, even if I don't inhale, it feels like the chemical equivalent of Getting punched in the face. No thank you. My dad came to visit recently, and he couldn't sit 10 ft away from where I was pouring- he had to go back inside until I was done.

I think a lot depends on your sensitivity and willingness to deal with discomfort.

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
Googles are the way to go. I’ve always given acid the respect it deserves but some vapors were coming my way on occasion. I had off and on eye irritation until I started using googles. Problem solved.

Brad_C

Nov 15, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I copped a splash of 30% in the eye last year. I used the 19kL eye wash bath I was kneeling next to. It's not an experience I'd recommend, but aside from the instantaneous burn which subsided when washed there was no longer term discomfort.

Goggles don't sound like a bad idea, but not doing something dumb is probably as effective. Once in 35 years. Hopefully I learned a lesson.

FlaPoolGuy

Oct 5, 2019
Florida
I admire the confidence of the folks who don't wear eye protection, but I don't have an eyewash station nearby. I think we are just going to have to "agree to disagree".

My eyes (yes I know I have two, but I'm rather attached to them both) are going to have a physical barrier for the foreseeable future.

And lol at the googles/goggles typo!

Brad_C

Nov 15, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I don't have an eyewash station nearby.
Nor do I, but I have a 19kL pool which I was kneeling over.

I don't think we have to "agree to disagree" unless you found someone poking fun at you for wearing goggles, and I don't recall seeing that.

Everyone does their own risk assessment and does things their own way. The world would be pretty naff if we were all the same. I was merely relaying my experience that I did something dumb and it didn't leave me with lasting injury. I probably got lucky. I have had HCl in a paper cut though, and I can't begin to relay how painful that was (although my wife would tell you I'm a wimp apparently).