Please share how you collect water for testing....I'm curious how everyone else does this...

But by how much?

Not trying to be a pain about it. I just feel like all the extremes we go to when testing, maintaining the pool, etc can be all for naught.

That being said, I always test from the same spot same depth 😂😂.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
The Leslie's bottle's opening diameter is the perfect perfect diameter for a 10 mL graduated plastic syringe that Walgreen's once gave me with some meds. So retrieve water sample in the Leslie's bottle via arm-to-the elbow, then go inside and dose precisely with the syringe.
I've never used a syringe. I know many here like to. But I've never understood why. The Leslie's sampler bottle comes with a squirt cap that makes measuring out sample water very fast, very easy, and very accurate. Certainly more accurately than required. At least as accurate as a syringe, and definitely faster and easier. And they're free. So to have the Leslie's bottle and use a syringe instead of the cap has me stumped.

We each find what works for us, and convince ourselves we've found the best way. But I'm different. I really have found the best way! ;)

PS. The Leslie's bottles are "free," but of course they give them to you with the expectation that you'll let them do your testing, and then let them sell you something. I don't let them test my water, but they're my chlorine and acid source, so they've made out petty well with the deal. So that's how I've justified taking advantage of their "free" bottles.

But by how much?

Not trying to be a pain about it. I just feel like all the extremes we go to when testing, maintaining the pool, etc can be all for naught.

That being said, I always test from the same spot same depth 😂😂.
If you really want to take it to the next extreme, shut the SWG off (not the pump) 30 minutes prior to taking your water sample. :poke:

Honestly, don't overthink it. Just take the sample from the same place - and about half way between 2 of your 8 returns. It's all about consistency. If you think something is "off", double check everything and take appropriate action.

It's all about consistency.
That's what I think. Do it the same exact way each time. You're looking for a trend as much as some exact number. Is my FC below the range that keeps my pool from turning green? That's all I need to know. And if it's always trending low each week, what's going on? I probably need to turn up my SWG, but if I do, and it still trends low, then I gotta hunt down the problem.

The FC where my pool turns green is 2.5. It doesn't really matter if it is actually 2.5, it only matters that I test consistently, so that when I get 2.5 it means I gotta dose real quick. If I'm sloppy, and my testing is all over the place, then maybe I'll get a 4, when it's really 2.5, and then I'll be in trouble (and won't even know why).

Reactions: proavia
Yup. That’s what I was getting at. Test the same way each time and adjust for that. Getting random samples from different depths or areas probably won’t be that harmful either but consistency is probably what leads to better outcomes than obtaining a sample in a specific way.

Reactions: Dirk
I've never used a syringe. I know many here like to. But I've never understood why. The Leslie's sampler bottle comes with a squirt cap that makes measuring out sample water very fast, very easy, and very accurate. Certainly more accurately than required. At least as accurate as a syringe, and definitely faster and easier. And they're free. So to have the Leslie's bottle and use a syringe instead of the cap has me stumped.
Between having to bend down to see the meniscus and my awful reading vision, I find using the test cylinder 's graduations overly cumbersome (especially the clear one that comes with the mag stirrer). But like you said, we all develop our own method...who can say which is best when we all have clear water.

That wouldn't be fair. I've already won. 🤪
Sorry. Your device doesn't include a ball rolling across a glockenspiel or domino chain, so you're not even in the running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.