Please Review my AGP Specs! :-)

So, I'm not sure if anyone else is going to see this, but hopefully you all do, because I'm hopefully close to being done shopping! :) This forum has been GREAT, but the more research I do, the more questions I have. Just a quick update with some questions/comments:
Of course we're going to see. You can't get rid of us that easy. :LOL:

• Accessories: Unless anyone thinks it's a waste, I think I'm going to go with the optional Pool Pad for the bottom, as well as the Foam Cove. I'm also going to find another place to purchase a ladder.
Which pad are you looking at? I like the extra 'insurance' personally. Good call on the foam cove, it makes things a lot easier.

What kind of ladder are you looking for? Are you planning on building a deck, or just using an A-Frame type ladder over the wall?

• Pump / Filter: I'm going to go with a VS Pump. The more I read, the more I think I just need to take the plunge (pun intended). I'm looking at the 1.5HP Black & Decker. Here's a dumb question though, I'm assuming I have to buy a sand filter separate then?? If so, what brand/size???
You won't be unhappy with a VSP. I can't speak to the Black & Decker specifically - perhaps others will chime in with experiences. Is there a particular reason you're sold on a sand filter? I love my cartridge filter. Bigger is better when it comes to filtration!!

• SWG: Unless someone has a better suggestion, I think I'm going to go with the 15A Hayward AquaTrol for 18K. I'm not sure if I should go with the RJ or HP version. Thoughts? For the salt, probably just buy from Amazon.
Good call on the SWG. Not sure on the RJ/HP versions - I'll let someone else chime in on that. :)

For the salt, skip Amazon. You can use plain old blue bag "Solar Salt" sold for water softeners. 99%+ Sodium Chloride. Usually Diamond or Morton brand (but don't use the Morton POOL SALT, it's sometimes been contaminated.) The water softener solar salt is the same thing. Salt marketed as "pool salt" just has slightly smaller crystals, and a bigger price tag. It all dissolves quick enough for it not to matter.

• Is there anything else -- accessories, test kits, or otherwise -- that I'm forgetting about? A pump timer? Or anything else that is a "must have" when trying to automate this process? (When I say "must have", I mean something that's worth the investment from the get-go that you were like, "I am SO GLAD I got this....")
Test kit. Get the TF-Pro Salt with Smart Stir. You won't regret it.

The 'Smart Stir' isn't technically required, but it makes testing SO MUCH EASIER that you for sure will want it.

The reagents last 1-2 years and then you can just buy a refill set for about 1/3 the cost of the new/full kit.

Does your VSP you found have a timer/automation built in at all? That could determine what else you might need that way.

Remind me where you're located? Location/climate might determine other recommendations.

Reactions: AK- and Newdude
I mean something that's worth the investment from the get-go that you were like, "I am SO GLAD I got this....")
3rd vote for :

VS pump
Big cartridge filter
SWG
TF100 pro salt. (Included Smartstir is a MUST)

I don't know much about the brands you are looking at, but I've seen them several times here doing well for folks.

Reactions: Musmin2415 and AK-
When I bought my pool I was sold on a sand filter, after all it was the type filter everyone I knew I used back my teenager years… it was the tested and proven. I have a friend that bought a house in 14 and the pool came with DE filter, but I crossed that out due to costs and the writing in the wall environmental activists may go after DE soon. After long considering I ended up “trying” a cartridge filter. I only retreat not getting a bigger one (mine is already oversized). I got a spare cartridge so I could replace and clean it when I was in “the mood”.

Reactions: Musmin2415
*looks at cratridge*

Not tonight dear.
Well, we are 3/4 in the pollen season and my filter pressure didn’t budge (I’m doubling down is skimmer socks this year), so I might not have to clean my filter before the end of the season… A bigger filter could have saved me the skimmer socks…

Reactions: Newdude
I think VSP is the right call. Yes you need to buy the filter separately. You need the “brand” big. If you are happy with sand go with it. I like my cartridge filter. Anyone, the bigger the better.
Ok cool. I'm assuming 1.5hp isn't overkill. And I think I'm leaning more towards a cartridge now that I'm doing a little more research.
You should also compare their warranties. That is the single thing that drives people towards Circupool. Get Salt on your local hardware/big box store. I paid less than $7 per 40lb bag of Morton pool salt at Homedepot.
Yeah, I keep hearing about the Circupool warranty. So I just need to find the best website to get it from and the correct model. EDIT: So, here's the model I was going to get, but it might not be available -- CircuPool EDGE-15 Salt Chlorine Generator. However, with the $10 upgrade, I can get the CircuPool EDGE-25 Salt Chlorine Generator, which IS available. Is that overkill for my size of pool?? If not, I'd like to pull the trigger asap!

Last edited:
Which pad are you looking at? I like the extra 'insurance' personally. Good call on the foam cove, it makes things a lot easier.
Armor Shield or Rhino, but the reviews are 'so-so'. Haven't found one that's highly recommended that isn't ridiculously expensive.
What kind of ladder are you looking for? Are you planning on building a deck, or just using an A-Frame type ladder over the wall?
Well, for now, a decent A-frame. Phase 2 of this project will be re-doing my deck and then extending it around part of the pool.
You won't be unhappy with a VSP. I can't speak to the Black & Decker specifically - perhaps others will chime in with experiences. Is there a particular reason you're sold on a sand filter? I love my cartridge filter. Bigger is better when it comes to filtration!!
Honestly, there's no particular reason other than my first filter was the incredibly cheap intex cartridge filter that came with our very first agp. It was terrible experience. But now I realize it's probably because it was severely under-sized. I went to a sand filter after that. It was ok. Still kind of a pain in the back-side. After doing my most recent research, I'll probably give the cartridge filter a try again -- I just need to size it correctly, because I have no idea.
For the salt, skip Amazon. You can use plain old blue bag "Solar Salt" sold for water softeners. 99%+ Sodium Chloride. Usually Diamond or Morton brand (but don't use the Morton POOL SALT, it's sometimes been contaminated.) The water softener solar salt is the same thing. Salt marketed as "pool salt" just has slightly smaller crystals, and a bigger price tag. It all dissolves quick enough for it not to matter.
Test kit. Get the TF-Pro Salt with Smart Stir. You won't regret it.

The 'Smart Stir' isn't technically required, but it makes testing SO MUCH EASIER that you for sure will want it.

The reagents last 1-2 years and then you can just buy a refill set for about 1/3 the cost of the new/full kit.
This is great info!! Thanks!!
Does your VSP you found have a timer/automation built in at all? That could determine what else you might need that way.
I honestly don't know, as dumb as that sounds. Not sure what I'm looking for. Here's the link: B&D 1.5hp VSP
EDIT: Well, now I'm considering this as a viable option. The 1.5hp Circupool. But again, I'm not sure what I'm looking for when you say, "time/automation"
Remind me where you're located? Location/climate might determine other recommendations.
South central KS. So, all 4 seasons!

Last edited:
Yeah, I keep hearing about the Circupool warranty. So I just need to find the best website to get it from and the correct model. EDIT: So, here's the model I was going to get, but it might not be available -- CircuPool EDGE-15 Salt Chlorine Generator. However, with the $10 upgrade, I can get the CircuPool EDGE-25 Salt Chlorine Generator, which IS available. Is that overkill for my size of pool?? If not, I'd like to pull the trigger asap!
The thing I dislike about the Edge is it adjusts in 25% increments. If you Ok with that then it is fine. My pool is the same size than yours (I round up to &K to simplify the math) and I'm happy with my RJ-30.

I noticed you have a 100sq ft cartridge filter. Are you good with that size?
No. I can live with it and clean the filter at most twice a "year" with pool open between mid-April and mid-October, but I go through a lot of skimmer socks.
If wasn't for the socks I'd surely have gone through the first filter cleaning already and would have two more on the horizon. It is not too bad, but far from ideal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, the other thing to consider is your pump and how much water you are going to have going to the filter. The bigger the flow the bigger the cartdrige has to be just to accommodate that.

My thoughts:

- Foam cove - yes, yes, yes
- Wall foam - meh
- Pad - I wish I bought one when I put my new liner in
- Filter - I am a fan of DE, but I have never owned sand, and my experience with cartridge filters is decades old, so they are likely much better now. I had DE, and when I needed a new filter, I bought DE again.
- TF-100 test kit, with a salt test - Yes, you should get this
- SpeedStir - Not necessary, but makes testing a LOT easier
- You need something to measure chemicals with - both by volume and by weight. A trip to Bed, Bath, & Beyond or similar for a large measuring cup and a basic kitchen scale is all you need for now
- The PoolMath app - in the same realm as the SpeedStir. I used paper on a clip board and a "cheat sheet" of amounts (like 1C of bleach is 0.25 ppm in my pool) for years. Then I got the PoolMath app - much nicer.

Reactions: AK-
- Wall foam - meh
I have it and I'm still not sure why. They say it protects the liner from rubbing the steal... can't see how that would happen.

- You need something to measure chemicals with - both by volume and by weight. A trip to Bed, Bath, & Beyond or similar for a large measuring cup and a basic kitchen scale is all you need for now
Yes. I use this one.

I have it and I'm still not sure why. They say it protects the liner from rubbing the steal... can't see how that would happen.

Yes. I use this one.

Yeah, I got the wall foam too. It was supposed to help with insulation and make the walls cushioned. With the pressure of the water compressing the foam, I doubt it adds more than an R-1, if lucky. And yeah, my walls do a have a little cushion now, but I don't crash into the walls of my pool.

@phonedave @AK- @Newdude @magiteck @kimkats
So here's my final list! Please make any additions, corrections, or suggestions:
- Foam Cove: Misc brand
- Pool Pad: Misc brand
- Pump: CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump - 1.5 THP
- Filter: Waterco CC150 Trimline Slim Cartridge Filter - 150 Sq. Ft. // CircuPool® CJ-2750 Cartridge Filter (270 sq. ft.)
- SWG: CircuPool RJ-30 PLUS Salt Chlorine Generator
- TF-100 test kit, with a salt test
- SpeedStir
- 2-Cup Squeeze & Pour Silicone Measuring Cup
- Ladder: Misc brand
- The PoolMath app

EDIT: I'm assuming none of this is extreme overkill for a 7366 gallon AGP.

Last edited:
Is the equipment the package listed above ? If so there was a 275 sq ft cartridge for $220 more. 83% more cartridge means almost half the cleanings. That will pay you back year after year.

Well, for now, a decent A-frame. Phase 2 of this project will be re-doing my deck and then extending it around part of the pool.
There's a lot of decent options for ladders. I have this one and am happy with it:

The first season, I used it as pictured (A-Frame). Last year when I built my deck, I bought a conversion kit for it, so it can be used as a deck ladder as well. Nice perk vs having to buy a new ladder.

@phonedave @AK- @Newdude @magiteck @kimkats
So here's my final list! Please make any additions, corrections, or suggestions:
- Foam Cove: Misc brand
- Pool Pad: Misc brand
- Pump: CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump - 1.5 THP
- Filter: Waterco CC150 Trimline Slim Cartridge Filter - 150 Sq. Ft.
- SWG: CircuPool RJ-30 PLUS Salt Chlorine Generator
- TF-100 test kit, with a salt test
- SpeedStir
- 2-Cup Squeeze & Pour Silicone Measuring Cup
- The PoolMath app

EDIT: I'm assuming none of this is extreme overkill for a 7366 gallon AGP.
This looks like a great package to me.

Is the equipment the package listed above ? If so there was a 275 sq ft cartridge for $220 more. 83% more cartridge means almost half the cleanings. That will pay you back year after year.
You can never go wrong with upsizing a filter. That said, I have a 13000+ gallon AGP with a 150 square foot cartridge filter, and I only have to clean it once at the end of each season.

Knowing you live in KS, your season is longer than mine though, so you might see more benefits of a bigger cartridge. Do you have a lot of trees/etc that will drop things into the pool water? If so, then I might consider the bigger filter. If not... 150 sq feet should be adequate. You might have to hose it down in the middle of the season, whereas a 275 sq foot would almost assuredly last the entire season before needing a cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.