Please help with Water

:goodpost:
I agree with Marian. DE added to the sand filter will filter out the algae and clear your water quicker

However wait until your water is cloudy blue. That colour would generally indicate most of the algae is dead. You cannot filter out a live algae problem because the algae will grow faster than you can remove it

Also glad to hear you are going to do a deep clean. You really should before you add DE to a filter anyway
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Update.....
I did a Sand Filter Deep Clean. Not Fun at all. Seemed super easy until i started the reassembly. I must have moved the tubes in there and the sand just raised them up about 2 inches and I could not get the head/valve assy back on. Used the wet dry vac and sucked almost all sand out and reseated the tube things. Washed the sand a bit more while in my Vac. (Yes I cleaned it very well before using it for the sand) All continued well, I put the Selector in Backwash mode, opened the valves to let in water from pool and turned on the pump. I did not expect that big of a leak to get a good body rinse... I must have moved the rigid pipe between the pump and sand filter. Broke the joint. Fixed it but the glue said to wait 24 hrs. I did. Hooked it all together powered up the pump and no leaks, Yea!!!
So... I had been working in this Great Indiana Liquid sunshine and the pool level was up a bit so I vacuumed to waste and brushed everything and looking good at the moment compared to what it was. Very cloudy but barely can see the bottom. Yesterday the FC was 21 and now 12. I added 2 gal of 8.25% bleach. Pool math said 1.7 gal but I felt generous. Will check tomorrow. intrigued to see the results...

Update
Just checked Pool, And No Green, very clear but not as clear as it should be. Will keep the SLAM going.
Question, since the season is within a week or a little longer away and water is getting under 80 now, should I still ad DE to the filter?
If so, I understand add until the Pressure gauge raises up 1 PSI. How much do I buy for that?
I've not noticed DE anywhere so what quantities do they normally sell it in?
1 lb, 5lb, 25????
Thanks!! ;)

Around here, pool DE can be had in 20lb boxes from Lowes. That will last me the life of my sand filter I think. Can you find someone with a DE filter and humbly ask for a cup or two? And don't confuse pool grade DE with garden DE.....not the same.

A little late on posting to this thread but I had the same issue with my 100 lb. sand filter not filtering algae debris. I was using Baquacil before making the switch to chlorine and had to use a flocculant several times and vacuum to waste because the filter would expel the green stuff back into the pool when in filter mode. Water isn't cheap here so that got expensive real fast. Thats when I decided to switch to liquid chlorine. Although I never tried the DE addition it would probably would have helped. Have used DE filters in the past and they do an excellant job.. just a real pain to clean every year. Anyway it sounds like your filter issue may be resolved. I have never seen DE sold in small amounts around here. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.