Please Help With Stabilizer After Algea Bloom

May 4, 2015
Chardon, ohio
Thanks for reading this. I opened my pool last week to an algea bloom which is about 95% cleared at this time with continual shocking. CYA is 0 and I am blowing through 3 gals of bleach a day not to mention pucks as well to try to bring up CYA. Not working. 10-12 at night when I add bleach. 9 in the morning, 0 when I get home from work.

Please help with advise on how to stabilize my pool since I've never done it before. I live in Cleveland and CYA is always 0 at opening. Always used pucks in the past but don't want to any more because it takes to long to bring up CYA. Don't know if its good to mix with bleach. I've heard to put 1 lb at a time in a sock and put in the skimmer. Soak 1-2 lbs at a time in warm water and break it down before pouring it in the skimmer. Leave the filter on for 48 hours after adding. Don't worry about it. Add liquid stabilizer to speed up the process. Watch the filters because they will clog. I'm lost....

Questions

Should I stop using pucks to bring up CYA since its taking too long?
Can I add stabilizer while the chlorine level is high?
What is the best type to use and how exactly to do this process?

I need to get the pool stabilized so I don't blow through so much chlorine. Thanks for any advice you can give or a page to go to that has instructions. Thanks

HI there.....yep you need some stabilizer in there. Regular granular stabilizer sold (at least here) at Walmart is fine...may say conditioner but your looking for active ingredient cyanuric acid. We usually reccomend putting it in an old sock and suspend in front of a return. I actually tie mine to pool noodles and try to agitate the socks when I'm around to help dissolve.

Thanks for any advice you can give or a page to go to that has instructions.
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

See if you can pick up the directions for how to do the SLAM process up in Pool School. 20/20 hindsight but it's where you should've started. Read that article and then ask us questions......we'll get you all cleared up and save some FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.