Please help this newbie

snuggler

Dec 6, 2021
Newark, New Jersey
Hi all,

I inherited a spa recently and am having difficulty with a few things.

First, I should say I started off with a spa with water. I don't really plan to use the spa until spring, but I want to keep the thing sanitized and balanced over the winter until I can drain and refill the thing without it being a huge pain in the butt. (Everything is already winterized here). I don't want to go into details for privacy reasons, but I trust that the previous owner took good care of the water before I became the owner. That said, I'm not sure when the last refill was. And I didn't start treating the water until about 3-4 weeks after inheriting the spa. Until then, it was at 100 degrees and covered, and unused for at least 4 weeks.

Following all the guidelines I could find, I first balanced total alkalinity and pH. Both were initially very low. I balanced to 120 for TA using baking soda, and then balanced pH using muriatic acid. The TA seems relatively stable but the pH seems to creep up every day despite adding muriatic acid to get it back to the ideal range every day.

Because the spa hadn't been sanitized in at least 3 weeks and was registering as having very low bromine levels, I took a day off of adding muriatic acid to adjust the pH and instead added bromine. (I didn't want to add muriatic acid the same day as adding bromine and shock due to the warnings about creating a toxic gas like mustard gas). The pH was reading at about 7.8 when I added the bromine.

Because I couldn't get my hands on any granular bromine until later this week, I crushed up 5-6 bromine tablets that were on hand and put that into the spa. I haven't added MPS yet, which is the shock I have on hand, because I can't tell whether the spa has an ozonator or not. The pH is reading high (approximately 8 now), although as mentioned above it was lower before adding the bromine.

My immediate concerns are:

1. I am getting some inconsistent feedback about the bromine levels. My Taylor TA test is starting blue and turning yellow, which I've read is an indicator that bromine levels are high. But my total bromine test is barely registering any bromine (0.0-0.5 ppm). Is there some explanation for this? Could my TA test somehow be blue and yellow even if I have very low bromine levels? The TA test was green and red before adding the bromine. Could my total bromine test be bad?

2. I am not sure whether to add MPS or not to shock, as I can't figure out if I have an ozonator. The spa brand is Sweetwater Spa, but I cannot find the model number. The thing is built into a deck with only the top showing, and I looked everywhere I could access under the deck but could not find a panel. Thus, to the extent there is a way to find the model number anywhere other than the top of the spa, I don't think I can find that without ripping my deck apart. Is there any way to figure out if I have an ozonator without the model number? And if I do have an ozonator, will adding MPS damage my spa?

3. My crushed bromine tablets are not dissolving in the bottom of my tub. Does this have to do with my pH creeping up or the lack of MPS? What should I do to help them dissolve?

4. I reduced the temp to 70 degrees to try to lower the chances of stuff growing in my spa over the winter. Is this ok, or could this be affecting the issues above?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

Welcome!

I don’t have any help for the bromine issue but your pH is creeping up because your TA is so high. pH is also just fine if it’s anywhere in the 7’s. Take a look through the pool school articles on the site, I think there’s some info on spas. TFP has different advice (that’s good!) for acceptable water chemistry.

I’d suggest posting a set of test results so others can help with the bromine questions.

The other bit of advice I hear from spa owners here is that you probably need to replace the water every 3-6 months, but I’d let someone who has one chime in on that.

Welcome to TFP!

I can’t answer your bromine questions, as I’ve only used chlorine for my hot tub. However crushed tablets don’t seem like the right thing to throw in, you can get granulated bromine products to use until you’ve built up your bromine bank. After that you’ll use chlorine, MPS, or ozone to oxidize the bromide ions, so you won’t need to add any more bromide directly.

First, I should say I started off with a spa with water. I don't really plan to use the spa until spring, but I want to keep the thing sanitized and balanced over the winter until I can drain and refill the thing without it being a huge pain in the butt. (Everything is already winterized here).
Eh. The house we purchased January of last year had a hot tub. I did an Ahh-Some purge (you NEED this!) drain, and refill while the snow fell. You can see that here: 26' Intex - Planning, Install, Upgrades, and Landscaping Thread

As long as it’s about freezing or higher I’d say do the purge, drain and refill now. It does suck a little, some waterproof winter work gloves help, but then you can use the tub all winter. Winter is the best time to use the tub!

Reactions: A.O. and Newdude
Welcome to tfp @snuggler 👋
Here’s the primer for using bromine👇
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
It’s also conveniently pinned 📌 @ the top of this sub forum.

I suggest you do an Ahhsome purge soon to remove biofilms that protect the nasties in your tub from being oxidized as @jseyfert3 mentioned
then begin again fresh following the guide above especially since you went without sanitizer. You will likely never catch up w/sanitation & just be spinning your wheels otherwise- as well as pulling your hair out. It doesn’t matter how “clean” or meticulous the previous owners were- spas are a big bowl of people soup (sweat, sebum, body oils, other stuff 😳) & it can get nasty/dangerous in a hurry. Especially if they are under sanitized for any period of time. A purge upon every fresh fill (every 4-6 months) is a must. Along with proper sanitation. You also aren’t sure what chems were even used in the tub - 2step or 3 step system? so a fresh start should simplify things.
Or Maybe u wanna try chlorine instead?
There’s a guide for that too👇

To help u understand your ph issue a little- As mentioned above your higher ta is contributing to frequent ph rise. As u dose with acid to control ph the ta will fall overtime. Let it. So long as ta is 50 or above no need to adjust it.

*Also tablets are meant for a floater (erosion feeder) as such they don’t dissolve quickly like granular products & can damage your shell & equipment if they or their pieces rest in any one area. You need to scoop that out & discard it ASAP.

*You can use mps or bleach & acid in the same day. They just need to be added separately and allow them to mix a few minutes before adding the other. Once distributed in the water you’re good to go.

I am surprised you don’t wish to use the spa now. It is hot tub season after all!
A purge & refill takes a few hours if u have everything ready. The longest part is the draining if u don’t have a submersible pump go help the process along.
You may want to inspect your filters & order new ones if necessary as well as have your Ahhsome & other supplies ready to go.
I really hope u get to enjoy your spa soon not just lament it’s existence in your back yard. 😊

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I was afraid that if I posted all of the responses would be, "you need to drain and refill."

I'm just not sure that's really an option, at least not within the next few months. Without going into too many details, I don't have a 3 hour + period of time away from my young children to devote to this. I can carve out about 20 minutes to an hour a day if needed, but only when it is dark outside. So I'd have to do this over probably a 3-6 day period, and figure out how to drain a hot tub for the first time from the crawlspace under my deck on my hands and knees in the middle of the night, next to the two mouse nests I just found yesterday when trying to find the model number, which all seems like it is inviting trouble. I don't know how I'd keep the water from freezing in there while it is only half drained, or how to avoid making a mistake that ruins the whole tub.

Off to looking to see if I can hire someone to drain and refill for me, I suppose. Sigh. This thing is already a pain in the butt.

And yes, I do hope to someday be able to have enough time to take advantage of the tub in the winter. I just already know that this winter it is not going to be possible with everything on our plate.

Until I can hire someone to drain and refill, should I keep my temp at 70 to reduce growth?

And if it is dangerous already, is it ok for me to hop in the tub to scoop out the crushed bromine tablets? I was following the advice here (How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?) where they discuss crushing bromine tablets, so I could sanitize right away, since I can't get granular bromine until tomorrow.

When you’re at the Walmart getting supplies- get u a little aquarium fine mesh dipper net. You’ll thank me later.
As for getting in - I would definitely shower afterwards.
Do your best to maintain as u have been until u can drain. With the sunken set up u have a submersible pump would definitely be the way to go as draining is a routine maintenance undertaking with a spa. Harbor freight is a cheap convenient place to find them.
I wouldn’t wanna crawl under there either!
Purge (however many times it takes w/ the same water) then flip the breaker & throw the pump in. Rinse & wipe (drain a little more) then refill. Watch for any residual after refill & wipe it as necessary.
Side note 📝 since u mentioned kiddos do u have a locking cover (or a way to secure it)? If not please make that priority #1.
My cover has straps that have little plastic latches that can be locked w/ a plastic key.

Reactions: jseyfert3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you’re at the Walmart getting supplies- get u a little aquarium fine mesh dipper net. You’ll thank me later.
As for getting in - I would definitely shower afterwards.
Do your best to maintain as u have been until u can drain. With the sunken set up u have a submersible pump would definitely be the way to go as draining is a routine maintenance undertaking with a spa. Harbor freight is a cheap convenient place to find them.
I wouldn’t wanna crawl under there either!
Purge (however many times it takes w/ the same water) then flip the breaker & throw the pump in. Rinse & wipe (drain a little more) then refill. Watch for any residual after refill & wipe it as necessary.
Side note 📝 since u mentioned kiddos do u have a locking cover (or a way to secure it)? If not please make that priority #1.
My cover has straps that have little plastic latches that can be locked w/ a plastic key.
I don't yet have a lock for my cover, although I have been trying to find one. Do you have any suggestions? Only the very top vinyl(?) part of the spa is exposed on the deck, which is what has had me struggling to find something I think will work. I'm not sure anything I've seen will work if we can't screw it into the wood or main basin of the hot tub, which is unfortunately underneath our deck.

We are also installing a fence between our sliding doors and the hot tub, which is in our deck. But that won't be done for at least a few weeks either.

Right now I'm relying on supervision and Ring cameras, neither of which are 100% reliable.

Newbie here with another question.

I actually managed to purge, drain, clean, and refill my new-to-me spa without any major disasters recently.

However, now I'm having questions about sanitizing. I understand that usually you need to shock a spa when you add new water for oxidation. But the brominating concentrate I got said you don't need to add any oxidizer because it already has it in it. It says just to add about 4x the normal maintenance amount to shock the spa.

The specific brand is SpaGuard Brominating Concentrate. I believe it is 82.5% sodium dichlor-s-triazinetrone and 14.7% sodium bromide, although I'll have to double check that to be sure.

Is this correct? Or should I still add bleach or MPS to shock it ASAP?

I used the Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD method and got 8 drops before the water turned clear, which I believe means my total bromine is at 3.36 (0.2 * 8 * 2.25 = 3.36) ppm, which seems low based on the shock numbers I've seen in these forums.

I believe it is 82.5% sodium dichlor-s-triazinetrone
This is dichlor- it is an oxidizer. U should be good to go & then just “refresh” the bromide bank u just created w/ a little bleach or your preferred oxidizer later.
Not sure how much of a “bank” u are supposed to achieve. I’m a chlorine gal 😊

As for the locks - mine are just plastic latches on straps - I don’t see why you couldn’t attach the receiving end of something like that to the deck. They do have a little plastic key 🔑 to lock them.

This is exactly what came on mine- read the reviews for how some people were able to attach them 👇
Spa Hot Tub Cover Locks Push Button Release set of 4 Amazon.com: Spa Hot Tub Cover Locks Push Button Release set of 4 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

& bravo 👏 my friend on the purge/refill - we knew u could do it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.