Please help me understand my suction side plumbing setup

PaulinSoFla

Jul 22, 2020
Sarasota Florida
Hello,
I have a leak. I think its in the line from the skimmer because after topping off the water level drops rapidly (3-4 days) to just below the skimmer intake & then stabilizes. I've dye tested the skimmer area & haven't found anything, so I thought I'd pressure test the return lines.

First I wanted to confirm which pipe went to the floor drain & which went to the skimmer, so I removed the cover of my 3-way valve that controls flow between pool & spa & connected my pressure rig to the pool side. I'm using an air compressor to add air into the system (no test plugs installed on other side yet, wanted to confirm which line goes where)
- Left valve closed / Right valve open - I get bubbles out of both the skimmer & floor drain.
- Right valve closed / Left valve open - I get bubbles out of just skimmer.
What's going on here?

My best guess is I've got a check valve underground somewhere so that if the water level drops it can allow water from the floor drain into the skimmer pipe, therefore pressure on the floor drain pipe pushes open the check valve. & if this is the case when insert my test plug into the skimmer hole I will keep that valve from actuating & be able to isolate that line.

Does this sound right? Is this a normal way to plumb a pool?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
- Left valve closed / Right valve open - I get bubbles out of both the skimmer & floor drain.

The skimmer diverter flap may not be sealing well or at all.

My best guess is I've got a check valve underground somewhere so that if the water level drops it can allow water from the floor drain into the skimmer pipe, therefore pressure on the floor drain pipe pushes open the check valve. & if this is the case when insert my test plug into the skimmer hole I will keep that valve from actuating & be able to isolate that line.

Does this sound right? Is this a normal way to plumb a pool?

No.