Please help me select a new sand filter

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
My sand filter needs replacing because there is a leak. The leak is in the very bottom, somewhere under the housing that it rests on, that housing came with the filter when it was new back in 2010, so I got about eight years out of it. Is that normal? Doesn't matter I suppose?

The water loss is probably 1/8-1/4 inch per day, but that may be increasing over the past few days because that is what I suspect.

I am going to have a plumber install the sand filter.

1- Could you guys please recommend what filter you feel would be best in my situation.
2- how should I handle the pump runs times?

I am very used to testing and treating the pool without the pump running over the winter about monthly, then again in the fall and spring because I open late each spring and close early each fall because I use a solid cover which requires me to test and treat and circulate the water on a weekly basis without the pump running because the pool is closed during those 3-4 months yet the water temperature is above 60°F.
I can just let the water kind of gush out of the filter leak and add 0.25+ inches of water per day; but I think what would be smarter is to simply test and treat it daily just like I do during a winter when the cover is on, being sure to brush it for circulation; being sure to turn the pump on for maybe 10minutes just to get fresh water in those pipes daily and sacrifice that little bit of water during those 10 minutes. If I get a windstorm etc. I will skim the top and maybe turn the pump on to use the poolSkim etc.. I am not worried about debris on the bottom since I will get it towards the drain/ filter daily and will simply catch up when I get a new filter.

All comments appreciated

Assuming that your WhisperFlo has a service factor of 1.65, I would want at least 5 square feet of sand surface area.

Thanks James.
My current shot sand filter (in my signature) reads "Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF".
I believe what you are saying is you would suggest a larger one of 5SqFt?
(I looked at my pump manual & found no info on " Motor service factor (SF)" )

I don’t even know where to begin to try to determine what filter I should get. I'll take anybody's suggestions; if left up to me I will screw it up for sure so this is plea for hand-holding, please anybody, just be blunt with what sand filter you would get for yourself if you had my pool.

I'm not afraid to do some work & spend some time learning what I need to in pool care but things like major equipment selection is not something I will pretend I can gain more competence than you pros here, no matter how much time I put in. And since it is mid-summer I think it best to get going rather than spend days & weeks trying to research & most likely still screw it up with a poor decision.

Do I simply ask the plumber to get a "5SqFt sand filter he likes"? I'd rather choose from a few you pros suggest rather than get what a plumber "wants to get rid of or whatever". You guys are in the industry & know what is quality & what you like & like to install & service etc & I would rather tell the plumber to get one of those. I have bought bigger items like this in the past with guidance from the TFP pros & I can buy the equip myself or let the installer buy it for me (whatever they choose, I understand why they may want a certain way).

Thanks in advance for any product suggestions.

I would suggest a Pentair Triton II, TR100 Sand Filter with a 2" multiport part number 261055.

Thanks very very much! I will get it (will confirm w plumber that is is fine).
1- I notice the drain is a "combo sand & water drain" for winterizing. I assume one can ONLY drain the water (not sand) if he wishes.

2-Are all filters "side-mount these days? Or do I need to try to get a "top-mount" since that is my current setup?

3- I recall reading somewhere here on TFP about a certain "design?" of plumbing that makes things easy for plumbers , using some kind of connections(?threads to mate PVC pieces rather than glue?). Since I will have a plumber here, do you advise I have him perform that where ever possible or am I being silly? See attachment in my original post showing all current pipes are glued. And what is that design /method called?

The drain allows for draining just water.

You can do a side mount or top mount filter. Both are ok.

Some people use unions. For a top mount multiport it's more helpful, but you can do it for a side mount filter.

Thanks once again, unions- that is the term I was looking for.
I should always ask the plumber to use unions wherever possible or leave it up to him or it may not always be needed or even possible; just seems to give one more future options, no? Or do I misunderstand the concept or perhaps it doesn’t apply so well to pools?

I would suggest a Pentair Triton II, TR100 Sand Filter with a 2" multiport part number 261055.

Seem that filter is only a side-mount & plumber saw my photo, did not visit, (photo isalso in my original post of this thread) & said to get a top mount. Or should I just find a guy who can make a side mount work? Can you please suggest one. FWIW my current sand filter is in my signature & it look as though that is the largest "Sand Dollar" they make.
Here are some Pentair top mounts called "Tagelus" instead of "Triton" , want me to get one of these? Which one? Or just get the same "sand Dollar" one I have now?
Tageus models
https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/filters/brochures/tagelus_fiberglass_sand_filter_english.pdf

Tagelus manual: file:///C:/Users/John/Desktop/Tagelus_Owners_Manual_English_French_Spanish.pdf

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest a filter with an area of about 5 square feet. Any filter from Pentair or Hayward would be ok.

Tagelus is a Pentair product or not? I can't tell re all the trademark lingo. I want to stick w what you pros find to be the best products. Again just pick one or 2 you like & I'll get it. Very sorry I need to keep posting, so thanks very much James.

The Pentair Tagelus TA100D Top Mount Sand Filter part number 145240 should work for you.

I recommend the 2" valve over the 1.5" valve.

When checking prices, verify that the valve is included.

Some vendors might send the filter with no valve and then tell you that the valve is extra.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.