Please help me choose my tile, coping and stone (pics included)

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
Hello!
Making some tough decisions and I like them all but I was wondering if you guys could please help me narrow down my choices. I’m going for a timeless contemporary look that’s not too boring. I’ve decided to go with the bullnose coping instead of safety grip but haven’t decided on the color. My pool will be rectangular with a raised wall and 3 sheer descents. Hubby and I are leaning towards the gray stone for the wall but I like them all really. We will have white plaster with added quartz. Ahh can’t decide!

Attachments

• 295B04F6-5DCE-478B-B74F-90A13B90CA57.jpeg
    295B04F6-5DCE-478B-B74F-90A13B90CA57.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 1932864C-CC56-4C53-851A-8E8E3180AC98.jpeg
    1932864C-CC56-4C53-851A-8E8E3180AC98.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 630A59A4-53D7-48BF-AE68-F854AB131B72.jpeg
    630A59A4-53D7-48BF-AE68-F854AB131B72.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 138
  • D6D25969-495F-44EE-ABD4-F5F70AF1F9CC.jpeg
    D6D25969-495F-44EE-ABD4-F5F70AF1F9CC.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 133
  • A70DAC86-2CC1-42D2-9826-5684F3B63E07.jpeg
    A70DAC86-2CC1-42D2-9826-5684F3B63E07.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 7C754530-94AE-4759-B954-23F67142B5EC.jpeg
    7C754530-94AE-4759-B954-23F67142B5EC.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 5BC555B9-E532-43A1-89F3-EBBC78BC93E1.jpeg
    5BC555B9-E532-43A1-89F3-EBBC78BC93E1.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 132
  • AEF282AE-3E0C-4B17-9AFA-956D7A0F48FD.jpeg
    AEF282AE-3E0C-4B17-9AFA-956D7A0F48FD.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 126
  • CE4758A6-8ECC-47F8-8F0A-565A7018C502.jpeg
    CE4758A6-8ECC-47F8-8F0A-565A7018C502.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
  • C047781A-25CD-4BCC-9A90-AE4B6CE50757.jpeg
    C047781A-25CD-4BCC-9A90-AE4B6CE50757.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 108
I like the 2nd one in the above row of pics the best.

One thing to think about with the mixed color tiles-each one will be different. Some will be prettier than others. It can add a lot of interest to the waterline. One thing you will want to do is sort through the boxes and pick out the ones you do NOT like and hide them. Then pick out the ones your really like to put on the part of the pool your eyes fall out first as you walk out to the pool.

Reactions: TLB347 and Slaru
Hi Kim Kats!
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for your advice as you are known to be the design 👑! To clarify are you referring to the 1st or 5th row? Our top picks would be on the first row. I was cautious of picking a blue that doesn’t look too dated. The blue waterfall angel tile by npt on the first row, second pic is subtle yet pretty. Great advice on picking out the tiles, never would have thought to do that. Any thoughts on coping color? Thank you!

One thing to think about with the mixed color tiles-each one will be different. Some will be prettier than others. It can add a lot of interest to the waterline. One thing you will want to do is sort through the boxes and pick out the ones you do NOT like and hide them. Then pick out the ones your really like to put on the part of the pool your eyes fall out first as you walk out to the pool.

Kimkats that is awesome advice.

I like the set with pictures that end in 98 and 07.

Reactions: Watershow
I like the same ones @miggator likes. They almost look the same.

Coping-I would go with the slightly darker one as it is still light and it will not show dirt/grime or such as much as the very light ones.

We had one build before I did not know how important it is to dig through the boxes of tiles where the installers put all of the light tiles together and all of the darker tiles together..............it looked AWFUL! The PB came out and agreed and had them take it and HE, the PB, picked out what tiles went were! SO now I tell the PO to do that kind of thing to avoid the tummy dropped that poor PO had.

I like the one that the JPG ends in 9cc. I think that's the fourth one down. Sorry that was the only way I could remember it. Your pool is going to be gorgeous whatever you pick.
Thank you. I appreciate that! Yes, I like your choice as well too. I’ve narrowed it down to your choice of tile and the angel waterfall tile. The ledger panel would be between the gray and the golden sand color. Thank you guys for helping me out! Really appreciate it!

Reactions: mickey4paws
I don't envy you this part of the pool designing process (even though designing with color is my career)! But hope this helps: you should be viewing those samples both dry and wet. The colors will change dramatically when wet. Also, if you can, try to view them at different times of the day and evening, and in various locations around your pool. Light and angles will affect the color, sometimes by a lot. I'm assuming you're doing this in your yard, as that is arguably the most important consideration. Colors of objects in your pool's environment can drastically affect your perception of color (like fences, plants, the house, etc). If you're selecting colors in a showroom, you could be in for a nasty surprise when you put them around your pool. Good luck!

I don't envy you this part of the pool designing process (even though designing with color is my career)! But hope this helps: you should be viewing those samples both dry and wet. The colors will change dramatically when wet. Also, if you can, try to view them at different times of the day and evening, and in various locations around your pool. Light and angles will affect the color, sometimes by a lot. I'm assuming you're doing this in your yard, as that is arguably the most important consideration. Colors of objects in your pool's environment can drastically affect your perception of color (like fences, plants, the house, etc). If you're selecting colors in a showroom, you could be in for a nasty surprise when you put them around your pool. Good luck!
Hi Dirk!
Thank you for the advice. This really makes a lot of sense and don’t want to have any regrets. I will ask my PB if I can take them home. These pics were taken outside of their showroom.

And to reiterate what Kim said above, when the time comes you'll want to be all over the installation. Be sure you don't get a batch that doesn't actually match your selection. Color lots can vary wildly with stone. That happens a lot. They may even ask you to sign a release about it, in advance. Be careful of how that might read. Don't give up your right of refusal. Sort out the ugly ones. The installers might not care to do that. I've advised some, who were like me and hypercritical, to actually set out the stones around the pool in the way they want them installed. Making sure two together don't look weird, or variants in colors aren't bunched together, etc. Putting the nicest looking ones in the high-vis areas, and the lesser ones where they won't be seen as much, etc. A craftsman setter would be doing all that for you, but that's not likely what you'll get now-a-days. It's a lost art now that profit is king. Don't be shy. Make sure they do it the way you like. Ignore the dirty looks you might get. Ply them with snacks and drinks: "Keep the talent happy." Remember, they'll be done and gone and forget about their workmanship, good or bad, about five minutes down the road. You'll have to live with their work for years and years. That one ugly stone they might slip in will drive you nuts forever!! (Sorry, I'm projecting! ;) )

When I had my pool redone, I picked out all the little step markers. Rejected all the ones I didn't like, and worked right next to the setter, placing each one, one by one, exactly how I wanted them. I was super polite, and he was nice enough about it. I kinda had a feeling he appreciated at least some of what I was doing, because I couldn't later come back and complain, and it alleviated him from the decision making process. Plus, it was fun having a hand in my pool resurface design!

It's supposed to be fun, by the way!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think whichever you choose will be lovely, but I swear this is the hardest part...trying to take small individual samples and imagine what it will all look like all together. Too bad pool design software can’t quite do that yet; it would make things so much easier. :)

I think whichever you choose will be lovely, but I swear this is the hardest part...trying to take small individual samples and imagine what it will all look like all together. Too bad pool design software can’t quite do that yet; it would make things so much easier. :)
Yes, I totally agree! There’s so many factors and details to think about. But I appreciate everyone’s insight as it helps me cover all bases to make the right decision!

@Dirk I wish I had read this on Friday, the day before you wrote it. I thought I was crazy for wanting to do that this past weekend, and it would have saved me a lot of headache, issues with the mason thinking I was crazy, and now what will be annoyance with myself that I did not do it, because I have to look at it forever. I had 2 ugly sheets sitting on top and outside of the box that I wanted the mason to use for my samples which he'd promised to do first thing Monday morning. I was on some calls that morning, and I walked out and he'd already tiled the most prominent parts of the pool that we see from our windows and our porch, right in the middle of our yard, in the spa, with the ugly stuff!! And still had not done the grout samples (which he'd promised to do last Friday). ARGH. I tried explaining the issue (also those tiles had been left out in a surprise rain shower over the weekend, because I'd had them sitting out on the spa ledges so I could see them). In front of me, he called the foreman, and told him I was a lady who was crazy in the head (and I always speak Spanish to him, so he couldn't have thought I wouldn't know what he was saying).

Wish I had been reading the forum this weekend and seen these comments here. They are exactly how I felt about the coping and the tiles, and I am a perfectionist with myself... I would have felt so much more reasonable if I had known that others actually do this. I told my husband that I bought 40 extra square feet of tile and wanted to spend the weekend going through it and setting bad ones aside. I wish I had now; in fact, i wish I had replaced individual squares of the one color in the blend that I don't like. ARGH. I could have easily done that. Now I will kick myself forever. They have not grouted yet, but we are already weeks overdue and want it done. Would you have them replace them every few feet throughout? I just posted about grout and think I remember that you are the grout expert. Is there any chance you could take a look? The pattern is very big... not even always repeating every square foot.

Reactions: dprorie

Yes! This is great advice. I wish I would have read this months ago. I'm about to have them pop off several tiles because they sure didn't consider placement.

Hello!
Making some tough decisions and I like them all but I was wondering if you guys could please help me narrow down my choices. I’m going for a timeless contemporary look that’s not too boring. I’ve decided to go with the bullnose coping instead of safety grip but haven’t decided on the color. My pool will be rectangular with a raised wall and 3 sheer descents. Hubby and I are leaning towards the gray stone for the wall but I like them all really. We will have white plaster with added quartz. Ahh can’t decide!
100% true...my tile looks much different now that it's up.

@Dirk I wish I had read this on Friday, the day before you wrote it. I thought I was crazy for wanting to do that this past weekend, and it would have saved me a lot of headache, issues with the mason thinking I was crazy, and now what will be annoyance with myself that I did not do it, because I have to look at it forever. I had 2 ugly sheets sitting on top and outside of the box that I wanted the mason to use for my samples which he'd promised to do first thing Monday morning. I was on some calls that morning, and I walked out and he'd already tiled the most prominent parts of the pool that we see from our windows and our porch, right in the middle of our yard, in the spa, with the ugly stuff!! And still had not done the grout samples (which he'd promised to do last Friday). ARGH. I tried explaining the issue (also those tiles had been left out in a surprise rain shower over the weekend, because I'd had them sitting out on the spa ledges so I could see them). In front of me, he called the foreman, and told him I was a lady who was crazy in the head (and I always speak Spanish to him, so he couldn't have thought I wouldn't know what he was saying).

Wish I had been reading the forum this weekend and seen these comments here. They are exactly how I felt about the coping and the tiles, and I am a perfectionist with myself... I would have felt so much more reasonable if I had known that others actually do this. I told my husband that I bought 40 extra square feet of tile and wanted to spend the weekend going through it and setting bad ones aside. I wish I had now; in fact, i wish I had replaced individual squares of the one color in the blend that I don't like. ARGH. I could have easily done that. Now I will kick myself forever. They have not grouted yet, but we are already weeks overdue and want it done. Would you have them replace them every few feet throughout? I just posted about grout and think I remember that you are the grout expert. Is there any chance you could take a look? The pattern is very big... not even always repeating every square foot.
Actually, that was @kimkats that posted that. I just copied her post later on, changed a few words, and pretended it was my brilliance!! ;)

Builders and their staff can be intimidating. It's tough to push back sometimes, and they don't like that sometimes. Tough tooties for them, I say. It's your pool, it's your money. Yes, they're supposed to be the experts, but there are too many contractors now that pretend to be, but really aren't. You have to oversee them, and sometimes you have to take charge. The ideal build is where you blend your taste and aesthetic sense with their expertise and willingness to please. A lot of pulling that off is the approach you use (and the goodies you ply them with)!

To the poster unhappy with her tile layout, if you haven't grouted yet, I believe it is a relatively simple matter to pull off tiles and replace them. Really, insist on that. The few days that might push you back will not compare to the years you'll stare at that spot and stew about it. Like I said, whether you offend the setter or not, he won't give it another thought 5 minutes after he's gone.

Actually, that was @kimkats that posted that. I just copied her post later on, changed a few words, and pretended it was my brilliance!! ;)

Builders and their staff can be intimidating. It's tough to push back sometimes, and they don't like that sometimes. Tough tooties for them, I say. It's your pool, it's your money. Yes, they're supposed to be the experts, but there are too many contractors now that pretend to be, but really aren't. You have to oversee them, and sometimes you have to take charge. The ideal build is where you blend your taste and aesthetic sense with their expertise and willingness to please. A lot of pulling that off is the approach you use (and the goodies you ply them with)!

To the poster unhappy with her tile layout, if you haven't grouted yet, I believe it is a relatively simple matter to pull off tiles and replace them. Really, insist on that. The few days that might push you back will not compare to the years you'll stare at that spot and stew about it. Like I said, whether you offend the setter or not, he won't give it another thought 5 minutes after he's gone.
Thank you, that is me. He is tiling the remainder, which is the exposed spa ledges, in the morning, and I finally got the littles to bed, so I am sitting here working through the sheets for him tomorrow. He needs 30, and I've only done 8 (it is so hard to do without sunlight). I think you are right about having him switch out tiles- I probably need to stand in the pool, holding my phone and taking the (millionth) school conference call while I do this, and have him remove the ones I dislike and be ready to peel off proper substitutes. There are SO MANY colors in my tile pattern, and then even more variations of them mixed with clear, that determining the proper replacements within the pattern is time- consuming. I need to at least do the parts I see from the windows and the porch. Just this evening, I discovered that he also used a super ugly sheet right on the sun ledge, which is also right in front of the porch and a place where everyone's (though I'm the only one who cares) eyes will be whilst in the pool. You are also right about the mason... whatever... as nice as I've been with them, if he is going to call the foreman, and right in front of me, explain the situation (in Spanish, which he knows I speak), and tell him that the lady is crazy in the head for trying to ask him whether he used those two sheets that were sitting out (not only were they not the best colors, but the plastic had gotten wet, tiles were not aligned, AND the foreman himself had peeled a bunch of them off, and I did the same, on Friday, looking at something... and when I put them back on, I put the browns all together and the blues together... so I was not just telling him I did not like the tile I chose and that I wanted him to change it, I was explaining to him that the sheets were literally damaged AND had been put back together incorrectly. ARGH. In the private sector, we could never, ever get away with most of what these crews do in the construction business, especially in our city, where all of the trades charge far more than they do anywhere within hundreds of miles of us, and they have more work than they deserve to have and can handle. Thanks for the boost of confidence. :)))

On the flip side, you have to also manage your expectations. Don't make yourself crazy, as likely only you will see a lot of what you think is glaring. But that's OK, it's your pool and you don't want anything etched in stone (literally) that is going to drive you nuts.

And just to pile on, this is a little obscure, but something to consider as you ask for tile swaps. When a pool is still and you're back a ways (like looking from the house, for example), you don't see the entire waterline tile. You only see the top half of it, and it's reflection in the water. So if you have something off-putting going on above the water line, you'll see it twice: half the tile on top and its reflection below. For some tile patterns, this is a non-issue, for others it can make for some weird effects. So there's that.

Just be reasonable, and if you can't get the setter to work with you, I'm with Kim and think you can ask to work with someone else. Who cares if these "strangers" think you're crazy. You're holding the money which means you're holding the cards.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.