Please help identify...

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
Short background story...I opened to a green swamp only to find out that the pump motor had frozen up. Fixed the issue, but I had to wait until June 9th to start shocking. I have been holding at shock level since then. Starting to really get excited because water is looking better and better everyday. Here are my current numbers:

FC 12.5
CC 3
TA 120
Ph 7.5
CH 120
CYA <20 (I added 4 lbs. of CYA about 4 days ago so I am assuming it won't show up for another few days. I am using 30 for purposes of determining shock value because I am sure it was very low to begin with.)

Today while testing the water I saw small sphere of rust colored something in the water. I thought it was some sort of bug and tried to catch it in my cup and throw it out. When I did so, it broke up into many smaller pieces. I was able to catch some of it and get a picture. My fear is that it is mustard algae, but I have never dealt with it so I am unsure. I realize I am not done shocking, but I am wondering if I need to go up to MA values in my FC.

[attachment=1:qajdtu9a]20120616_133922.jpg[/attachment:qajdtu9a]

[attachment=0:qajdtu9a]20120616_133937.jpg[/attachment:qajdtu9a]

Thanks for looking!!
Kelly

Attachments

• 20120616_133922.jpg
    20120616_133922.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20120616_133937.jpg
    20120616_133937.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 139
I don't think mustard algae, either. Most always, Mustard Algae starts as a thin, almost dusty growth on the pool walls and/or floors.

When brushed, it easily comes off the surface in a yellowish greenish cloud that sometimes resettles and continues to grow or often simply disappears if your FC level is returned back up high enough. (even without shocking)

You might wonder how I came about my description. Well, of course I have this neighbor who sometimes lets his FC get low enough to actually get Mustard Algae in his pool.....Yea, that's it. It the neighbor! :oops:

duraleigh said:
You might wonder how I came about my description. Well, of course I have this neighbor who sometimes lets his FC get low enough to actually get Mustard Algae in his pool.....Yea, that's it. It the neighbor! :oops:

I think we all have had "neighbors" who have done something :) I know I sure do!!

I am leaving for a short vacation with my sister and mother. I am leaving my hubs and kids at home! However, hubby doesn't deal with the pool at all, and doesn't have a clue what to do. He would rather not have to deal with it while I am gone. I really don't want him doing anything with it either - it's MY baby!! My CYA is low (30) so I feel like I could get away with the pucks for a short time. Question is how many pucks should I use? I will be gone for 4 days and I don't want to return to a mess! Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.