Please Help Explain my equipment..What to do?

BlkSer

Oct 3, 2018
Victorville

Hello Forum Member:

New homeowner that came into a headache. My wife fell in love with this house that was marketed as having a solar pool system 3 months ago. Our electricity and water bills came and we aren't saving a dime for the 1st and 2nd months. Our first 2 water bills were over $350.00 and our light bill was about the same amount. i started noticing this issue and decided to look around the pool area and noticed we had a running floater fill valve which I replaced (due to low water). Come the 3rd month we saved about half on the water bill due to the fixed floater valve. I then noticed our Hayward pump was really loud and running dry for days and days. After much researching I figured that the pool just needed to be filled with water and slightly passed the calcium line on the wall tiles, but 8 hours later after the filter turned off the pool is drained again but only drains till it reaches the same level as the skimmer basket therefor causing the Hayward pump to run dry. I have played with the valves and refilled the pool over and over and main issue is the water is draining only until it reaches the skimmer and only when the filter motor is off. Can you please help a new pool owner diagnose this issue. I called a few places but they want $75/100 just to come and diagnose. I feel confident in this forum that you can lead me in the right direction on fixing this problem, but just need explanation of the proper valve position and what half this stuff is. I know the major components such as the DE, heater pumps etc but cant really find info on the solar stuff.

Questions I have for you are:

1) What is the correct position the valves need to be in when the filter is on?
2) Is this a complete solar system for the pool? How can I tell if it is in solar mode what is solar on or off valve mean?
3) Can I remove the skimmer circle plates below the basket (basically leave the twos holes open) Unsure if the previous owner had an in water vacuum bot
4) Unsure if the labeling on the pipes are correct...Are they?
5) Does the heater need to be on, because I completely turned it off
6) I turned the red valve to the horizontal position. Is this OK? (No change)

https://imgur.com/a/oEo2cdI <-----------PHOTO ALBUM

Here is what I have done so far by myself:

1) Cleaned the DE Filters and added DE to pool (drained wash out sediment inside etc)
2) Replaced the water fill floater Valve
3) Cleaned out the Salt Cell w/acid
4) Replaced both Check Valves (followed flow arrows)
5) Replaced a noisy waterfall motor (not by me..beige in color)
6) Replaced Hayward Pump Rubber O-Ring (Lid)

After all this servicing done by me There are no water or air leaks. Thank you for your time and hope you can help me

Attachments

• 20181221_115933.jpg
    20181221_115933.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20181221_115916.jpg
    20181221_115916.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 136
Before diving deep down, did you get a home warranty when you bought the house? If so, you ought to be able to get a professional to come out for free. Just don't tell them you've already worked on the pool at all. They will claim your warranty on the pool is void because you touched it.

We are in the process, but they are giving us problems because my father in law recently passed away (He was main on Deed). Also they said something about us not having full hazard and $1000 deductible or some junk like that. Thank You!

i started noticing this issue and decided to look around the pool area and noticed we had a running floater fill valve which I replaced (due to low water). Come the 3rd month we saved about half on the water bill due to the fixed floater valve.

This sounds like an autofill line. The float valve should open when the pool water gets low.

I then noticed our Hayward pump was really loud and running dry for days and days. After much researching I figured that the pool just needed to be filled with water and slightly passed the calcium line on the wall tiles, but 8 hours later after the filter turned off the pool is drained again but only drains till it reaches the same level as the skimmer basket therefor causing the Hayward pump to run dry. I have played with the valves and refilled the pool over and over and main issue is the water is draining only until it reaches the skimmer and only when the filter motor is off. Can you please help a new pool owner diagnose this issue. I called a few places but they want $75/100 just to come and diagnose.

Here it sounds like you now have the autofill line off which is why when the pool water gets low the skimmer is sucking air.

Everything you say says you have a water leak around a skimmer basket. The autofill would mask the problem and just cost you in your water bill. You need to get in the pool and carefully look in and around the skimmers. The plastic may be cracked. Or there is an opening in the interface between the skimmer and the gunite/plaster.

1) What is the correct position the valves need to be in when the filter is on?
On the suctions side you have the intake on the left closed, which I am assuming is your spa suction. Your pump is just sucking water from the pool.

On the return side your valve position has both returns open. I assume one is for the spa and the other for the pool. In that position the spillover from your spa will run when you run the pool.

2) Is this a complete solar system for the pool? How can I tell if it is in solar mode what is solar on or off valve mean?

I can just see a jumble of pipes behind and to the left of your filter. I can't see where the pipes go and what goes to your solar.

3) Can I remove the skimmer circle plates below the basket (basically leave the twos holes open) Unsure if the previous owner had an in water vacuum bot

I would not do that.

4) Unsure if the labeling on the pipes are correct...Are they?

I don't see any labels in the pics.

5) Does the heater need to be on, because I completely turned it off

Heater only needs to be on if you want to heat the water in the pool or spa.

6) I turned the red valve to the horizontal position. Is this OK? (No change)

I can not see both ends of the pipe the red valve is on.

What is one the left side of the heater after the gas lines (black boxes)?

Black boxes are electrical junction boxes. Wires form your Pool & spa lights run into those boxes where they are spliced into the power lines.

This sounds like an autofill line. The float valve should open when the pool water gets low.

Here it sounds like you now have the autofill line off which is why when the pool water gets low the skimmer is sucking air.

Everything you say says you have a water leak around a skimmer basket. The autofill would mask the problem and just cost you in your water bill. You need to get in the pool and carefully look in and around the skimmers. The plastic may be cracked. Or there is an opening in the interface between the skimmer and the gunite/plaster.

On the suctions side you have the intake on the left closed, which I am assuming is your spa suction. Your pump is just sucking water from the pool.

What is Suction side (left or right)...Where should the Valve handle normally be? middle, pointed towards pool,..maybe do a mspaint drawing if possible Please!

On the return side your valve position has both returns open. I assume one is for the spa and the other for the pool. In that position the spillover from your spa will run when you run the pool.

Once again "return side" what is that? (right side) The right side handle only moves to the 12:00 position (pic) or 3:00 position... Doesn't go to the 9:00 position

I can just see a jumble of pipes behind and to the left of your filter. I can't see where the pipes go and what goes to your solar.

Please go thru the pics carefully I can clearly see the pipes ending in the ground by the spigot (green handle). Just found out solar is only to heat and has nothing to do with electricity saving (as was told to me by realtor)

I don't see any labels in the pics.

Labels are there Please double click pics to zoom in. I can clearly see them.

Heater only needs to be on if you want to heat the water in the pool or spa.

Thanks

I can not see both ends of the pipe the red valve is on.

Please look again. It ends by the green spigot.

Is there a main drain valve? I have a feeling it's open and Just need to check on a possible location of it.

Thanks!

The end opposite the handle is the pipe that is closed. If that end is between pipes then both pipes are open.

Suction two pipes are on the right that go into the pump.

Return two pipes are on the left after your SWG.

Return handle going to 3 o’clock position is likely closing pool returns so all water goes to spa. So when handle is at 12 o’clock then return water flows to both pool and spa.

So are you saying I should have both valves in the 12:00 position everyday?

No.

When in POOL MODE you want suction from pool only and water returns to spa and pool. This is assuming you have a spillover from spa to pool.

When in SPA MODE you want suction from spa only and water returned to spa only.

Yes I do have a spillover (see pic #14). So Should I turn Valve to the 9:00 position on the suction side?

Why do you think you should do that?

Your suction and return valves are motorized and should be controlled by your automation. Normally you should not be turning them manually.

I cannot know for sure which lines run to your spa and which run to the pool from the valves. You need to figure that out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you turned on the pump and run the pool and spa?

You need to experiment and see what happens at different settings and where water comes out. If you are really not sure you should hire a pool professional to get the pool running for you and take you through how it operates. You can damage equipment if you don't have a general idea of what you are doing.

Have you turned on the pump and run the pool and spa?

You need to experiment and see what happens at different settings and where water comes out. If you are really not sure you should hire a pool professional to get the pool running for you and take you through how it operates. You can damage equipment if you don't have a general idea of what you are doing.

Obviously you haven't read my entire post and read the things I have done or tried already. You are going way off topic and was hoping someone from the forum can help me not "outside help"....Come on really!

Let me do a TLDR for you:
My pool is losing water, are the valves in the proper position if not...where should they normally be? is it possible there could there be a main drain that is possibly open and pouring water down the drain?

Obviously you haven't read my entire post and seen the things I have done tried already. You are going way off topic and was hoping someone from the forum can help me not outside help..come on really!

My pool is losing water, are the valves in the proper position if not...where should they normally be? is it possible there could there be a main drain that is possibly open and pouring water down the drain?

Ok, I am out of this one. Let’s see if anyone else wants to jump in.

Best of luck with your new house and pool.

Crossing Fingers!

I am pretty new here and also just learning, so can't help too much with the issues you are having with the pool. I can tell you that I have been a long time member of other forums where folks come and ask questions....and I can say...without fail....you will get a lot more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

Obviously you haven't read my entire post and read the things I have done or tried already. You are going way off topic and was hoping someone from the forum can help me not "outside help"....Come on really!

Yes we realize you are frustrated but biting the hand that feeds you will not gain you any friendly help!

You are losing water, you acknowledge that. Where do you think it is going? It is a leak my friend. Your pool is leaking. How you describe things says to me you have no pool experience at all, which is fine, but you really need to bite the bullet and get a professional in to help you. Your main drain "drains" your water back to your pool pump. It isn't a drain to the sewer or somewhere else. If you lose more than evaporation, you have a leak. If you ran your pump dry, it may be toast. Yes, your solar only heats water. You have mostly all automated valves. These need to be run through your automation system. If you try to activate the valves by hand, you will break the valves.

Here is a quick diagram...

aupic2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.