Please help! Chlorine will not go down

Happymom

Jun 12, 2019
Plattsburgh, ny
Hi all! I have a bestway above ground 18' x 48" round pool. It's about 7,000 gallons because we don't fill it all the way so my youngest can stand with head above water. We have an Intex swg sand filter. We went away for the weekend and I out the swg on boost not realizing it would boost all weekend. Our chlorine is off the charts with the HTH 6 way test kit. It was also off the charts at the pool store here. They told us to add something to increase alkalinity since that was high. We added what they said and chlorine is still high. Prior to going to store we emptied about 1/3 of the pool and refilled. We haven't been running the swg since this happened. Our cya is 60. Our TA is 180. pH is 7.3. What can we do short of emptying and starting over? Our swimming season is short enough here.

The speed stir is a must also in my opinion for the testing. Get the Tf100 and the stir you are set to do all the testing yourself and not reli on pool store testing

When you get your test kit, give us the readings for:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Then we can help you manage your pool better in the future. Remember that vinyl pools rarely need calcium, so you won't be adding that. Mostly you'll be adding only liquid chlorine and *some* stabilizer, and perhaps occasionally some muriatic acid. I doubt you'll need much else.

And FYI- alkalinity has nothing to do with lowering FC. That pool store doesn't know squat.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.