Please explain the direction of flow & how it works

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Here is a picture of valves related to my "jets". The words I assume are correct because the sticker was fading and so I painted them.

1- are my flow arrows correct?
2- I don't really understand how it works because it is separate from the rest of the plumbing system in the pump station. I understand the directional flow for the REST of my pump station but just exactly how do these jets connect to the filter etc.

The writing reads:
- pool return
- jets
- (ignore the "Skm" which is skimmer which is part of the rest of the pump station that I do indeed understand and not part of my question in this thread).

Also, in order to turn the jets on must I turn something else off?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0897.jpg
    IMAG0897.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 67
So that is likely a return valve. The water is coming into the valve from the top and currently the right return "jets" is closed and all the water is flowing to the left "pool return" back to the pool.

If you rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, the water would be split to both return lines.
If you rotate it 180 degrees clockwise (you never want the OFF position to the top in the picture) then all the flow goes to the "jets" which I assume might be on a bench seat or something.

Thank you very much.
I am very near the end of shocking and just realized that I have not had these jets on for a few years meaning I assume there is stagnant water in the line, correct ? So I need to turn those jets on in order to get rid of the stagnant water and include that plumbing/jet line in the shocking process, right?

The top of the photo pipe that does not have wording on it, where is that water coming from, after the filter somehow underneath the ground but I just cannot see it like I can see all the plumbing at the pump station

How would I know where the upper pipe is coming from in the ground :D ... must be after the filter somewhere ;)

I agree you likely have stagnant water in them. I have multiple paths back to my pool also so I leave the ones I rarely use partially cracked open a little bit so some water is always running through there.

For now, maybe rotate the valve 45 degrees clock-wise. later you might can likely reduce that to maybe 10 degrees CW from your picture position

You have not presented a full view of all your plumbing, so I can't speculate on why it went into the ground and from where ... but this is not the first time I have seen it done.

Here's a picture. All those arrows in writing are mine so absolutely correct anything you know is wrong, I did it all when I first started so I was even more of a novice. One thing that I see is probably wrong is the 3 pieces of pipe secluded all by themselves that shows in my original post in this thread, THIS photo reads "from pool", that cannot be so, right, that should say "from filter". Be advised that there left most lowest pipe that reads "N/A" is capped off and I have no idea what it is.

Attachments

• pump area pipe flow identification 03-01-10 .JPG
    pump area pipe flow identification 03-01-10 .JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 40
That looks right to me with the exception of the valve we discussed previously. The green return from Filter must just go underground shoot to the right and come right back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.