Please advise re: pertinent questions for Pool builder of new vinyl pool

TLyons

Nov 26, 2018
Southeast Georgia
Apologize in advance for lengthy post.
So....our pool was built right after Thanksgiving. However, because of extreme, persistent rains and wet ground, our electrician (contracted through pool company) completed wiring last week so we finally have a completed pool. However, PB has been missing in action since Dec. 10th, when they added some initial chemicals to our 24,000 gal. (6 ft) in-ground, vinyl pool. I called today to request they come out and give me an overview of the system (sand filter operation/backwash/normal pressures, etc), manual vacuum, calibrating salt cell, etc, and regulating flow through heater.
For the past month, I have been utilizing TFP's approach and managing the chemicals in the pool, using test kits TF-100, K-1766, and K-1000. When I called the pool builder today, was told I only need to check water every 6 weeks (?really). This builder has a great reputation in our little town and is a genuinely 'nice' guy and pleasant as far as interactions. However, I have no confidence in their approach to pool maintenance.
1) Currently, my salt level is 2800 (per test kit). The salt water generator reads only 1700. Does my cell need calibrating or is there a potential cell malfunction?
2) Sand filter pressure reads 18-20 AFTER back washing till clear. Shouldn't pressures be lower? Possible reasons for high pressure?

3) My ladder has a few rust spots (looks like I might have accidentally splashed some muriatic acid on ladder when adding the acid). Can't think of any other explanation. ?Thoughts? remedies?
4) Last week, I had normal pH, Chlorine, salt, TA but < 20 CYA so purchased stabilizer (Clorox brand) at Lowe's. I followed TBF calculator added the stabilizer per recommendations. The stabilizer was in granule form and it took nearly an hour for it to dissolve in the water. I was concerned it would affect the liner so was continually brushing it and pushing it around to help dissolve it. Should I dilute it in hot water before adding it to the pool? Or should I use a different form of CYA? Today I rechecked the CYA level and it is still < 20 but I can tell it is higher than prior to adding stabilizer. Preparing to add more.
Can you offer any other pertinent questions I should ask PB when they come out on Thursday. I suspect this is the last face-time I will have with PB and want to address any issues now.

If I didn't have access to TFP's website and tools I would be extremely frustrated with this process. Instead, I feel like I have been able to keep the pool chemistry in check. My understanding is that high pH or low pH can be caustic for the system and should be avoided. My pH tends to be consistently high (lots of rain water) so have needed to add muriatic acid several times. I can get the pH back to normal range but it quickly swings back to the mid 8's, requiring more muriatic acid. I would be lost without your help . Thanks SO much! My goal is to avoid algae, not be faced with dealing with it once it grows (which seems to be the pool company's approach).

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions to help get us off to a good start.

Last edited:
1) Currently, my salt level is 2800 (per test kit). The salt water generator reads only 1700. Does my cell need calibrating or is there a potential cell malfunction?

What is your water temp?

Does your SWG indicate LOW SALT? If not, and it is generating then you are good.

2) Sand filter pressure reads 18-20 AFTER back washing till clear. Shouldn't pressures be lower? Possible reasons for high pressure?

I will let others comment if the pressure is high. Every pool is different and that can be your pool plumbings normal. Backwash when pressure rises 25%.

3) My ladder has a few rust spots (looks like I might have accidentally splashed some muriatic acid on ladder when adding the acid). Can't think of any other explanation. ?Thoughts? remedies?

Ladder should be aluminum and not rust. Can you post a pic?

4) Last week, I had normal pH, Chlorine, salt, TA but < 20 CYA so purchased stabilizer (Clorox brand) at Lowe's. I followed TBF calculator added the stabilizer per recommendations. The stabilizer was in granule form and it took nearly an hour for it to dissolve in the water. I was concerned it would affect the liner so was continually brushing it and pushing it around to help dissolve it. Should I dilute it in hot water before adding it to the pool? Or should I use a different form of CYA? Today I rechecked the CYA level and it is still < 20 but I can tell it is higher than prior to adding stabilizer. Preparing to add more.
Can you offer any other pertinent questions I should ask PB when they come out on Thursday. I suspect this is the last face-time I will have with PB and want to address any issues now.

You should add stabilizer using the sock method. Put the stabilizer in a sock and dangle it on a string by a return or put it in your skimmer if it will not block the suction. Squeeze the sock once in a while and the stabilizer will dissolve within a few days. It can take a week for the CYA to fully dissolve and show in your testing.

To expand on what Allen said above, you want to put it into a sock dry. Then if you put it in the skimmer you'll want to keep your pump running continuously until the CYA is all dissolved. This way the sitting water in the skimmer area doesn't get too acidic and then once the pump is turned on again won't blast your gaskets and equipment with a huge bolus of very acidic water.

Hanging it on a pole over the pool edge (not against the liner, please!) is easier in that respect but may take a bit longer to dissolve.

Don't bother trying to dissolve it first. It just doesn't work.

If your water is cold the SWG may not work at all. That's when you switch to liquid chlorine (or plain bleach) instead and give the SWG a rest.

Holler back if there are any other questions we can help you with-

Maddie :flower:

Thank you. Yes, will use sock method.
SWG doesn't seem to be calibrated. Will ask pool builder rep tomorrow when he checks in.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!
No, he is not from Metter. He is from Waycross. I actually work in Savannah (at Memorial Univ,. Hospital). small world.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.