Plasto Joint Stik - Anyone used this stuff?

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
So I'm putting together a DIY rooftop solar system with Fafco Solar Bear panels.

The panels come with 2-3/8" Fafco barbs, with 1.5" threaded on the inside. I've already plumbed to use those threaded connections.

On Fafco's traditional products there are no threaded connectors, all connections and end caps are made with rubber couplings, and I see why now. The materials and manufacturing of the headers cannot product a quality threaded connection. My first attempt to apply white teflon tape liberally and evenly which normally works for me 80% of the time on regular threaded PVC resulted in copious leaks at all three threaded connections.

My fall back plan is to use traditional rubber connectors but I do want to give the threaded connections another shot.

So anyway, story aside, first I found that some people swear by pipe dope. I've only ever used the yellow Rectorseal on gas connections, apparently there's thicker white stuff that comes in a brush can too. Then I found some testimonials that when even that has failed, this Plasto Joint Stick is apparently the ultimate solution.

It's not approved for potable water which sounds good and bad, I can imagine not being restricted to drinking water safety standards would allow for more effective compounds. The SDS lists polyisobutylene.

My main concerns are 1. Is this gonna fail and leave me with gunked up connectors that are impossible to clean and 2. Is this gonna set and make a permanent connection.

I use the white brush on kind an every screw on pipe or connection and I have never had one leak after I used it.. (unlike the tape) The one on the top of my filter connecting the pressure guage never leaked for 7 years before I just changed it out last week.. I used the same stuff again :)

Ohhhh WOW, I just learned something new.. I was not supposed to be using the white (even though it worked perfect) We are supposed to use the blue on Plastics... Go figure :)

Oatey's website says white for plastics too. I can't quite see what the difference except that white has ptfe.

I never quite get the whole plumbing sealing product section, there's like 10 different kinds of primer and glue and I get why there would be different types but there's no simple chart to tell you what to use. It's just like "oh use purple primer for x" but nobody knows why.

I remember that also but on the bottle it clearly states not for plastic now... Maybe they figured out a better stuff to use :)

Blue stuff
  • For use with water, steam, caustics or dilute acid lines of PVC, CPVC, ABS, cycolac, polypropylene, iron, steel or copper.
white stuff
  • Not for use on Plastic threads

Looks like actually just a bad Amazon description to me. Oatey still says yes for PVC.

I woke up this morning and sort of second guessed myself for using a nonpotable product on my pool, but apparently polyisobutylene is related to the synthetic rubber they make chewing gum out of. That doesn't sound so bad. I bet the nonpotable designation for plasto stik is due to solvent content, it definitely smells like something fumey.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Looks like actually just a bad Amazon description to me. Oatey still says yes for PVC.

I woke up this morning and sort of second guessed myself for using a nonpotable product on my pool, but apparently polyisobutylene is related to the synthetic rubber they make chewing gum out of. That doesn't sound so bad. I bet the nonpotable designation for plasto stik is due to solvent content, it definitely smells like something fumey.
Your all over it, I should have checked from the source :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.