Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2019
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm planning on using Indian Creek Gravel in the back yard to make an "oasis" around and under the pool. It's larger than pea gravel and has a nice smooth texture. The plan is to lay about 5 tons of it in the back yards about 2-3" thick.

I want to use 1" insulation board over top of the gravel for "smoothness", tarp, then pool. The AGP's legs will be on 12x12" concrete pavers set in/on the stone and leveled.

The goal was to relieve the requirement to mow around the pool and between the pool and back deck. I got some free 7+ mil thick heat shrink wrap (think the stuff they use to wrap a boat) that I was going to lay down over the grass, under the rock. This is two fold. One, it keeps the rock separate from the soil so if we plan to remove it it's easier and also stops weed growth so I can limit my weed killer spraying. My only worry now is that water will have no where to go generally as the plastic isn't permeable so I was thinking of poking small holes in it here and there to let water drain.

Anyone done anything like this? Will this defeat the purpose of weed barrier?

1566920933642.png

Sounds good. I have some laid out in the area and noticed puddling when it rained on it. Thought about putting some drains through it as well and pipe it out.

I am re-working my ideas here now that the weather is warming up. I'm actually looking at used, artificial turf. It comes pre-poked and has a thicker liner than the plastic will. It should hold up to abuse from the rock as well as traffic. We can also make "walk ways" through the rocks and have care-free grass.

I'm planning on using Indian Creek Gravel in the back yard to make an "oasis" around and under the pool. It's larger than pea gravel and has a nice smooth texture. The plan is to lay about 5 tons of it in the back yards about 2-3" thick.

I want to use 1" insulation board over top of the gravel for "smoothness", tarp, then pool. The AGP's legs will be on 12x12" concrete pavers set in/on the stone and leveled.
Am I understanding this correctly that you want to set the pool on top of foam which is on top of the rocks, and the legs/supports on top of pavers on top of the rocks?
Why do you want to put rocks UNDER your pool?
Its not a good idea to put rocks under your pool, even with the foam board. The pressure of the water will cause the foam to
flatten and "mold" itself to the rocks below and possibly cause lumps or ripples on the pool bottom.
And legs on top of rocks is not a stable surface even with the pavers.
The goal was to relieve the requirement to mow around the pool and between the pool and back deck. I got some free 7+ mil thick heat shrink wrap (think the stuff they use to wrap a boat) that I was going to lay down over the grass, under the rock. This is two fold. One, it keeps the rock separate from the soil so if we plan to remove it it's easier and also stops weed growth so I can limit my weed killer spraying. My only worry now is that water will have no where to go generally as the plastic isn't permeable so I was thinking of poking small holes in it here and there to let water drain.

View attachment 116638
We installed this AROUND our pool but not under it. We used landscaping fabric as a barrier under the rock. It works well, but we have to make sure we remove all the maple "helicopters" and spray with weed killer as needed. We didn't use any plastic.

artifical turf can get very hot on bare feet, if that is any concern. I agree with above, don't put rock/gravel under the pool. could be detrimental and is definitely a waste of materials. outside with landscape weed barrier is best. turf for decor or paths (except for heat issue) but not under rocks, dirt and plant detritus will get stuck in it.

Reactions: merc123
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.